• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How old should he be...

nofishfisherman

How old should a dog be before it makes his first BWCA trip? I have a Vizsla puppy on the way, should be born Feb 18th-20th sometime.

I have a friend who is planning a BWCA trip that I would love to go on but I will have a 3-4 month old puppy and my wife will be out of town for work during this time so either I stay home to take care of the puppy, find a dog sitter, or take him with me.

It shouldn't be a very tough trip, short portages and only 3-4 days long.

Do you think I'm out of my mind considering taking him with?

I know the question may answer itself once I have the pup at home and see how he progresses but I'm just curious.

My lab will be three this summer. I was planning her first BWCA trip this year. The only thing that I really worried about was her sitting still and balance in the canoe. We have been in some situations where any more movement would have put us in the lake/ river for sure. Guess it depends on how well behaved the dog is. I'm excited to see how she will handle the canoe. Of course taking more test runs on local lakes beforehand.

I might just go ahead and bring him. Assuming something doesn't present itself as an obvious problem when the pup arrives.

Now the problem is how do I bring my dog without my friend wanting to bring his dog who is poorly behaved, doesn't listen, and has been known to tips canoes becuase she always wants to jump in the water or jump into another canoe if it gets close enough.

I started bringing my pup to Lake of the Woods with me last June when she was a little over 3 months old. Granted that was in a 18 1/2 Lund boat, but she was fine. By the end of September she had logged more hours in a boat than your average fisherman! Had to fish her out of the lake at least once on every trip...curious like a cat.

Thats a good point. I want him comfortable with the water since I spend more time on the water then I do in the field so it might actually be a good idea to bring him. I personally think it would be a blast to have a puppy on the trip. Hopefully my buddies feel the same way.

I have a Vizsla/Lab mix and took him on his first canoe trip last year at about 3 months old. He loved it and wore out rather quickly. He ended up sleeping at my feet for most of the day. We had a a couple of people in our party that didn't like the idea of bringing him but they ended up playing with him the most. I will suggest bringing a life jacket for him though. At 3 months old I wouldn't count on him being able to swim really well.

Enjoy it...it is a great time to socialize your puppy and get him/her used to the car and canoe.