• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spear hole

charlie1959

Question why does the sides of my spear hole 6 in down from the top of the ice to the bottom of the hole get shineie like a mirror,seems to spooke fish,sat all day never seen anything,yet my son had tip ups on both sides of the house like 10 ft away he caught 3 nords and a nice bass i dont get it?seems the thicker the ice gets the worse it gets? anyone??? thanks

i have noticed the same thing.

if my hole gets shine i just scrape it with my chisel or rough it up with the ice saw or just cut a new hole.

i have had old timers tell me not to let a house sit more than 2 days, at the end of the second day if it is getting shiney just move the house over 10 feet.

i think it depends on the lake, and if the fish are running also.

Another thread talked about belling out the hole, i think it works, I hate the shiney effect too and when ya bell / \ out the hole it takes alot of that away in my opinion. BnS is right its the suns reflection.

I personally don't think it matters either way. I cut my hole vertical a lot larger than the hole in my floor, so I don't even see the ice. If you're dead set that that glare has an affect on the fish then "belling" out your hole is only going to compound your problem. You've now increased the surface area and increased the angle to amplify the suns reflection. I'd start looking at other reasons why your not seeing fish. The fish see all kinds of irregularities under the ice your hole is just another one.