• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Setting up on the Lake

bassNspear

Just wondering what you are all doing out there on the lakes these days.

What im wondering, is when you are going to a lake, what are you looking for when you set up?

Are you looking for points, turns, rocks, weedlines, depth?

Just wondering what everyone else is doing.

Thanks all

I've had pretty mixed results, but I like to set up on the weedline adjacent to a weedy flat. If I can find an inside turn even better. Usually in 7-10' of water if it's clear enough. I like to see the bottom clearly. I also like a spot where I see panfish from time to time.

This last wknd and a lot of last year I tried points and sunken humps, walleye type spots, without much success. Now I usaully set up where I think panfish will be. My next experiment will be setting up in 15' + off of a weedline and see what happens.

I'd like to hear what other people do. I've had too many no fish days lately.

i look for weedlines with a mud or soft bottom. i like mud because it is forgiving when you stick one and it hits the bottom, but it is also bad because you stir everything up.

my theory is where there are weeds, there are baitfish and panfish. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

right now i am set on a mud bay, my decoy weight sinks 3 or 4 inches in the mud, i see lots of panfish, but there are not many weeds. i have seen at least 1 pike a day up to 4 in one afternoon. and havent found a reason to leave the bay. i have been on 4 different holes in different areas of the bay and have had the same luck.

i have never speared in more than 8 or 9 feet. no reason really, i just hate it when i miss and i figure less chances of missing in shallower water.

some of my buddies like to sit close to a drop off. to the point where they might be in 20 feet looking down the hole at the side of the drop off. they say you will pull the pike that are lurking in deep water up.

i dont know the shurefire awnser, but if somebody does TELL ME.

Thanks guys for sharing!

What I have been doing is the same thing that i have done for the last few years. I get out to the lake and look for structor that might be going out to a point or break. Drill a few holes to see what it looks like.

My biggest thing that i have been doing is to get in that 10-12 fow and make sure that im right on the end of the weed line and by a break. IMO, its key to have access to deep water, becuase most of the fish will come from the deep to feed in the shallows.