• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Purchasing a Marine Radio Tranceiver

JimBuck

While doing some planning/daydreaming about open water season I got to thinking about picking up a Marine Radio Tranceiver for basic communication and emergency situations. I'm a first time buyer so I'm fairly green to the marine radio world. What do you guys like in a nice marine radio? Any brands to look at or stay away from? Cheers.

I'm a fan of Icom for low-middle end radios. Keys for me are a good speaker so it's easy to hear, large display so it's easy to see, and channel up/down buttons on the mic for ease of use.

The real key is getting a good antenna. There is no substitute for height and the cheapest 8 foot antenna will give you more range than the most expensive 4 foot antenna.

You could check out PerchJerker's HSOforum.

I know, I know, I haven't ordered one yet, PerchJerker. Still haven't convinced myself that I can justify it for the little use I figure I'd get out of it. You're on my list of suppliers though. Okay, my list only has one name on it anyway.

Bob

Thanks for the tip guys. I checked your site out PerchJerker and it seems that the Radios haven't been added quite yet. It sounds like I could get by with a decent radio, but make sure a good antenna is attached to it. Which battery do you typically run your radio off of. I have heard of a few issues with frequency hums that occur with the engine acceleration etc.?

I haven't added radios and antennas to my site yet, still busy with all the ice fishing stuff. But if you're looking let me know and I can give you a few options and prices.

I like to have my vhf powered directly to my starting battery, with something like 12 gauge wire. Solder the antenna connection, don't use the quick-twist connectors. And try to keep the antenna cable away from the power cables to avoid electrical hums - sometimes you haveto keep the cables close to each other due to your layout, but moving them even an inch or two will sometimes clean up the hum so the radio is crystal clear.