• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

March Lake Sakakawea Trip

A friend and I are heading to Sakakawea in March to try some late ice pike. We went out last year in late Feb, but found out that we were too early and only had limited success. Does anyone have any general tips or starting points for a little catch and release fun with tip ups? Not looking for any honey holes, but will accept GPS coordinates if anyone wants to provide them wink

Check out Six Mile bait and Tackle they have a web site and Carey the owner is a nice guy. He'll point you in the right direction as to where and whats biting. Don't forget to stop at the Totten Trail for a Trail Burger when your in the area. They also rent out sleeping cabins my buddy rented one for ice fishing last year paid like 20.00 per night for 2 people. They have new owners so price may have changed but still the best burger ate they last week twice on my way to Minot and back.

Trail Burger. drool5.gif

It's been a few years since I've been back for pike fishing and the lake has changed quite a bit since then, so I wouldn't know where to steer you for the best success. The last time up there we fished Beaver Bay and didn't do too bad. Quite a few in the mid teens and at least one that hit the 40" mark, all released. The water level has been so up and down I wouldn't be sure where to start now, but the poster above had some good advice.

Oh, bring the shmelt!!

Thanks guys, I have been saving my smelt that I took out of Lake Superior last May for this specific trip. Those burgers sound tasty and will be good after sitting on the ice all day watching tip ups! We are thinking about starting out around the Wolf Creek area, anyone ever have any luck around there?

Yep, that can be a good spot as well. The water level went up on the lake last year so the area near Mallard Island and Wolf Creek may be fishable again. I haven't been up there for a while so I'm not sure what it looks like now.

Thanks for the advice. This is more of a basic question, we plan to set up with tips in about 4 - 10 feet of water. Should we set up back in the bays or anywhere along the shore of the bays? Or is it kind of a [PoorWordUsage] shoot? Any help to increase our odds is appreciated.

We tended to look for bays or areas that are relatively flat and shallow. Some bays have a lot of structure and get very deep very quick off of shore. Others can be found that are mostly featureless and those are the ones that typically had more pike roaming around.

With all the snow they got this winter it could be tough to get back to some of these areas, so the places you fish could be limited unless some of that snow melts before your trip. They're supposed to get another 6-12" in the next couple of days again!

Thanks for the info Lmitout, I have heard the lake is quite a mess so far this year. That extra snow will not help any! I am starting to get pretty exicted, and I just ordered a bunch of stuff to make some more quick strike rigs. smile

The Wolf Creek area is a good one, as is the North side of the lake from Garrison Bay to Highway 83. The motel in Garrison would be a nice place to stay. Talk to Carey at the baitshop. Depending on when you come, look for fish off the main points or secondary points leading into the bays (early) or shallow in the backs of the bays (late ice). Look for active fish in dirty, warm melt water, if the warm up has already started. We've got a ton of snow up here, access will be tough and the mud will be horrendous once it warms up. Be careful on the late ice, every time I've dunked (3) it's been pike fishing on late ice.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Thanks for the input Jim. We are going to be heading there on March 13, so I'm thinking that we will need to be targeting the back of the bays as you mentioned. I really appreciate all the good advice I have received on this topic. Thanks to all that have replied. I am still interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this as well. Thanks again!