• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice on used Ski Doo

uffdapete

The older ZX chassis sleds don't have much value anymore. I've ridden a 94' 583 MXZ. Skidoo changed the recoil in 95'or 96', and the earlier models like the one your looking at were very difficult to start. It took a real man to jerk that cord in -10 degree weather. It was a great motor and with minimum maintence should go for another 2000 miles before it needs new rings. It wouldn't be my choice for trail riding. You'll really fight the bars with the long track, and suspensions have improved a long ways since then. It would be a great sled for the ice fishing or powder riding as long as you have plenty of snow like this year.

I second the hard starting. A buddy of mine has 2 1996 583 Ski Doos. Each one has it's own trick to start and they take some muscle to fire up. If the sled has electric start it might not be too bad.

Does the sled have a deep lug track? A 1.25" track is about all you need.

I have a 95 Formula SL it is a fan cooled 500 and it is a bear to pull over when cold, both hands and bracing yourself to get good leverage. Luckily it starts on the first or second pull ALMOST all the time.

I also have a 98 MXZ500, one hand sitting on the sled I can start it.

Every sled has its own trick to starting. My MXZ when warm if I just pull it over it floods EVERY time so I just hold the throttle wide open and starts every time on the first pull.

As for that sled...I use my MXZ more for ice fishing now than pleasure riding...you don't need a long track to get around pulling a portable fishhouse. I just have 1" lugs and don't have any issues. The long track is going to make it harder to turn but it will stay up on top of the snow a little better.

JB