• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin River Catfishing

Spent a couple hours after work tonight(8/19)catfishing. Fished off shore below Mosinee Dam by Chuck's boat launch. Used crawlers on a slip sinker cast out then set the rod on a forked stick. Catch for 2 1/2 hours, 3 channel cats and 6 walleye. The cats ran from 4-8 lbs. and the walleye ran 14-17 in. The whole river below Mosinee has some decent catfishing. Dubay, Moon, and Nekoosa Dams are the only places I fish on the river for catfish but most of what I hear leads me to believe the farther south you go the fishing improves. The walleye and smallmouth fishing can be first rate, though size is somewhat lacking. Maybe with the new slot laws for walleye in place, the days of catching 200 walleye without a legal 15" one will hopefully be gone. I never could understand how year after year the walleye are so abundant but never seem to grow to the legal 15" min. size. Good luck fishin!! can it be luck?

can it be luck -

What is the water level there of the Wisconsin below the dam? Here to the north {Minocqua area] of you until recent rain came the river(s) is very, very low? How is boat launching at Chucks?

Have never shore-fished there but sounds like it's better than launching the boat. Did you fish up-stream or down-stream?

Find the bite and tight-lines <'))><

BB-LDF

Bill, The river is low around the Wausau area as well. Boat launching should not be a problem though. Chuck's or Beans Eddy in Mosinee has launching sites. The water depth is only a few feet around Chuck's, Beans Eddy has a large bend that has some deep water there, 10-15 ft. A boat will allow you to find deeper holes in the river, but shore fishing is decent also. I usually take my boat and fish from Chuck's down to Lake Dubay. The areas around the Hwy 34 bridge is deep(25+FOW) as well as the bridge areas on Hwy DB. One of my favorite spots for a variety of fish is the bridge by the Antlers Supper club. Below the Dubay dam is also very good, more for walleye though. Moon dam, below the Eau Pleine has walleye,bass, and catfish as well. Night crawlers always seem to work best for me. I see that your from LDF, I have a lot of friends from LDF, and fish the Flambeau Chain often. We may know some of the same people. Good Luck, can it be luck?

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-24-2003).]

can it be luck? - yupper, I live in Lac du Flambeau area on Fence Lake.

I have not fished out of Chucks landing this year, yet! But I'm aware that sometimes launching can be difficult. Much like the Rainbow and Willow launches here when WVIC draws down the water levels. Sometime it's better to be below the dam than above it :-)

Good to read of your success however in 8/19 posting. Find the bite and tight lines
<'))><

BB-LDF