• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall's comin...Sturgeon Bay Walleye?

Kicking around the idea of hitting Sturgeon Bay for some walleye fishing this fall any suggestions on where to begin my search for answers?

------------------
Addicted

It's not only a name, but a state of mind!

Addicted, The shipping canal,Strawberry Island,and Larsen's Reef are areas you may want to try. As of yet there's been a lot of baitfish in the water makeing for a tough bite. Crawler harnesses work well, but the abundance of sheephead and gobie can make it frustrating. Ever try Little Bay De Noc, MI?

Can it be luck

Was scouting this past weekend, went salmon fishing, however, want to go back late september or october on a trophy walleye hunt. was able to see the areas you suggested, Bay de noc... would that be better?

------------------
Addicted

It's not only a name, but a state of mind!

addicted, Little Bay DeNoc is some of the best trophy walleye waters around. Sturgeon Bay has some good fishing, but it's hard to beat LBD in the Fall. Mid-October to ice up is the best time to catch big fish. Troll deep diveing cranks and Flatfish in orange and black dots or silver with pink spots, size F4 or F6. The night bite is usually better than the day. Most fish are caught over deep water in the main basin of the bay. These walleye are feeding on smelt and alewive, and will usually be suspended close to the forage. Large flats to try would be around the S. of Center Reef, ESE of Squaw Point, or the area at the mouth of the Escanaba River. Most productive depths are 23-45 FOW and from bottom to top. Run baits at different depths and find the most productive. Gladstone and Escanaba MI. have eveything you'll need. Bring your salmon rods and try a little fall run trout and salmon. Catching those brutes in the rivers and streams can be quite a rush! Although a little too easy at times. I never fished for T and S in MI., but right down the road in Marinette WI., I have a couple spots I fish. The Menomenie,Peshtigo,Oconto,and my favorite Little River all have a good Fall run of T and S.