• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Bet for Fish?

Works2Fish

Hey Guys, The advice on this site has been invaluable over the years, so I thought I would leave my question here. I am looking to set up an ice-fishing trip for some friends from down South and I am looking for a good spot to book an ice house or two and catch some fish (ideally walleye or perch, but northern are fun too). I tried Mille Lacs two years ago, but did not have much luck, which I hear was normal that winter. Any ideas on a good lake to try in January, where I have a good chance of finding fish? Right now I am leaning towards Mille Lacs again, but I am willing to explore.

Thanks in advance for all your tips.

------------------
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

If you really want to catch fish, but first choice would be Lake of the Woods.

My preference is for the NW Angle portion, but that is a real haul to get to.

The south shore has TONS of options for you to explore. You may not catch any pike, but the walleyes, sauger, perch and the odd burbot usually give good action.

I would try Winnie. I had never been on that lake in my life till last year. I fished it 3 different times. I caught limits of Perch each trip. Walleyes were numerous and 6 northerns to boot. On our first trip we fished out of the Pines and used one of their houses. After that we just hauled up the portables. After you clean your fish you can head to the Gosh Dam Place and they will cook your catch and provide the trimings at a reasonable price. Cool

I would have to second Lake of the Woods. There are a lot of nice resorts on the MN side and prices are pretty reasonable too. I make a couple trips up there every winter and the fishing can be very good. A lot of nice walleyes, saugers and perch. You can either rent a fishhouse or bring portables and move around, either way you will catch some fish.

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

I would definitely recommend Lake of the Woods, followed closely by Red Lake.

How far down south are your friends from?? I would recommend getting a sleeper ice house and spend the night on the lake. Lake of the Woods, you could all ride out to a resort house in a bomber. I think those 2 things alone would complete the entire ice fishing experience for your southern friends.

The friends I have that may come up are from North Carolina, where nobody ventures out on the ice for the 2 days per year the lakes sometimes freeze.

I will check into Lake of the Woods based on the comments. Any suggestions on Resorts?