• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My lab won't retrieve geese on land! help

fish4cats

My lab does a great job retrieving birds on the water and ducks on land, but he just wont pick up a goose on land.

Its obvious that its big and akward, but I have worked and worked with him to try and do it. All he does is pull feathers off of the bird.

Anyone have any advice?

Mine did the same thing. I figured heck, as long as you bring the ones back that fall in the freezing water I'll do the ones on land. Everything else was fine on land, dove, duck, pheasant but not a goose. Don't know if that is an option for ya or not but I did not see a reason to loose sleep over that one. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I've experienced this...

What I did...when the hunt was over...I took one of the geese we harvested and tossed it out there for the dog to get it. If the dog doesn't pick it up right away...call him back, heel and send him out again. Do this until he does. When he picks it up, starts dragging it back to you it or whatever...Call him back with Praise Praise Praise. Repeat until you feel he has it down.

Another thing you can do if this doesn't appear to work very well...If any of your buddies have dogs...Have them present when doing this...Toss the goose out there...Sometimes just with that other dog around, they might pick it up and bring it back to you. There is a level of competition there. You might get a better and faster response.

These are 2 things that worked for me and made the light bulb go off.

Good luck

Good advice hunting 247, my lab won't touch geese either. Great on ducks but won't touch them big things. Embarrasses me in front of the guys by making me put on my waders and wade out retrieve them myself!

We primarily shoot ducks though so I'm guessing it's just lack of experience... a little more practice and I'm sure he'll bring them back just fine.

One thing I should add...Make sure the goose is dead and motionless on those first retrieves. You don't want your dog to get beat up buy being slapped in the face from a wing or something...and put a sour tone on the retrieve. Esp if your pup is on the more timid side.

I think once they get older, dogs tend to like the cripples more. I think they have more fun!

Good Luck.