• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

waska walleye tourney

Final results for the 2008 Warrior Boats Lake Minnewaska Fall Walleye Classic will be posted on the official tournament HSOforum on Tuesday. We are currently in the process of getting the article, photos, live tournament video footage and leaderboard put up on the HSOforum which takes time. Meanwhile, here's the Top 10.

1. Mark Berle / Brian Berle - 7 walleyes, 17.35 lbs. $21,000 ($6,000 first place + $15,000 in Warrior Boats manufacturer / dealer contingency cash for owning, fishing from and winning in, a qualified Warrior boat).

2. Kriese / Beyer - 8 walleyes, 15.40 lbs. $3,000

3. O'Keefe / Paulson - 8 walleyes, 15.13-lbs. $2,000

4. Kral / Sadlemeyer - 11 walleyes, 15.05 lbs. $1,500

5. Vanderweyst / Schoeberl - 7 walleyes, 13.77 lbs. $1,350

6. Yach / Hogan - 7 walleyes, 12.86 lbs. $1,200

7. Troy & Felix Eggert - 9 walleyes, 11.94 lbs. $1,000

8. Matt & Troy Paumen - 4 walleyes, 10.46 lbs. $700

9. Terry & Greg Lorentz - 8 walleyes, 10.31 lbs. $600

10. Josh & Tim Schoeck - 6 walleyes, 10.03 lbs. $500

Of the top 5 teams on Day 1, only one remained in the top 5 on Day 2. The top 3 teams overall, came from 18th, 14th and 20th place on Day 2 to finish first, second and third. Go to the official tourney HSOforum at [YouNeedAuthorization].com later Tuesday for final information. We're working on it now, but it's going to take some time to get everything up on the site. Cash payouts were awarded to the top 15 teams with prize payouts for 16th through 23rd place. 222 walleyes were caught for an average weight of 1.76-lbs.

Tough overall bite but me and my brother took 1st pulling cranks over deep gravel on leadcore line- 7 fish weighing just under 17 lbs. Just bought a new Warrior at Starbuck Marine so we where qualified for $15,000 in contigency money so we took home $21,000

Smaller fish where being taken on jigs and minnows and spinner and crawlers.

Brian Berle

What type of lure were you pulling on lead core? We were working the same area as you in the white and red yar craft and we only caught shorts and one weigh fish. We must have not had the program quite dailed in. We were pulling number 4 and 5 shad raps and some jointed shad raps on leadcore.

Great job on first place and the huge pay check!

Dan Jochum

NPAA #269

I was at the weigh in saturday and a little disapointed to see that not one time was there a fish measured at the scale. I was standing with a crowd of other fishermen who also fish many tournaments and they couldnt believe that not one fish was ever measured. I talked to 7 different individuals today and they were at yesterdays weigh in and from what they all saw there was not even a ruler at the weigh scale. With that much money on the line for a tournament, and with the number of small fish biting you would think there would be more attention put on that. Just curious as to what some of you who fished it might think of that.

If a short fish is brought in they also loose their biggest fish weight. Why would you try to sneak in a short fish. I'm also prety sure if a fish was that close they would have measured it with the judge ruler. I'm sure that the judge(s) can tell, just like any other experienced walleye fisherman, if a fish is close. The tournament was very well run from start to finish.

I never once said that it wasnt run good. The point I am making is that not one time did they measure a fish. You cant tell me you can see if a walleye is 14 7/8 to 15. I have fished on minnewaska for a while now and I have fished with many of the anglers in the tournament and there was some discussion to this. Not at any moment did I say it was run poorly just a question of why was nothing measured with so much money on the line.

Waskaeyes,

The red Judge ruler was on the weigh table at all times, and fish were measured throughout the day. Also, as EyeWarrior states, the teams are fully aware of the short fish rule as it's discussed in great detail at the rules meeting. If a team brings a fish to the weigh scale that is under 15 inches---not only is that fish thrown out---but also their biggest fish is thrown out as a penalty. The penalty for a fish under 15 inches is severe, and we enforce it. If a team brings more than 2 walleyes per day that are 20-inches on the line or more, they are disqualified. You are entitled to your opinion, but I am also entitled to correct you. For the most part, any fish that were even close to 15-inches (as well as the big fish) were weighed by the teams early (prior to the weigh-ins as they are allowed to weigh a fish or fish early). Numerous teams did just that because they didn't want to risk any shrinkage on the small fish by having it sit in a livewell all day. Nearly all the big fish were brought in early and weighed and measured as well because they didn't want to risk having the fish die if it was hooked deep or caught in deep water and was stressed (we won't weigh a dead fish). Since you attended the weigh-ins as you stated, you weren't present to see those early weighed fish brought in and measured earlier in the day. A fish weighed is a fish weighed and it counts against the teams daily limit. Also, unbeknownst to you, is the fact that the inside of the totes are marked in a manner which readily allows us to determine if a fish is even close by moving the fish to those markings without removing it from the tote. If a fish is even close to either being under or over, it is then measured. By being a bystander in a crowd at the weigh-ins, it is easy to form an opinion without fully knowing what's going on behind the scenes. You also have to understand that we are trying to handle the fish as little as possible and to get them back in the water as quick as possible so that they survive. For the record, 222 walleyes were weighed and all but 23 survived. That's a live release success rate of 90%. So that the fish are handled as little as possible, we set the weigh table right on the edge of the water, weigh the fish and then immediately release them. Fish that are lethargic or need attention are worked with in the bump tanks and then released once they are able to swim away without assistance. I hope this fully answers your question and now you fully understand the manner in which the weigh-ins were conducted and/or fish measured. Furthermore, if you look at the tournament totals---222 fish weighed for 390.77-lbs.---the average fish weight was 1.76-lbs. What length would you surmise a 1 3/4-lb. walleye from Minnewaska to be? I can tell you this much, it's not even close to 15-inches! In addition, Waskaeyes, I find it rather ironic that you registered on FishingMinnesota.com today and all 3 posts to date were made today---and---that you, yourself started this post by stating and I quote---"Any info on how the Waska tourney turned out?" You make no reference to your innuendo made in your following posts in your original post. Then, as others post you go as far to state in your following posts that...and I quote, "not one fish was measured while you were there." You further state "that you talked to 7 people the next day and they stated there wasn't even a ruler on the weigh table."

For the record, the individual weighing the fish at this year's tournament has been the official weighmaster in 4 of 5 years, including the first two and two last two tournaments. He is very knowledgeable and takes his task very seriously. At no point in time would he NOT ever measure a fish in question. As the fish are transported to the scale, each tote is opened and any questionable fish are measured. Neither the weighmaster, nor the tournament is obligated to measure fish just for the sake of measuring them to appease the crowd or the anglers in the tournament. We will not waste unnecessary time risking the health of the fish just to make it look good.

People who are misinformed or do not know what they are talking about, or who post deliberate mistruths should not be allowed to make posts as such on a HSOforum. Your statements are false and you apparently were not present as fish were measured throughout the day or simply did not see them. Not knowing that we are readily able to identify short or long fish by markings inside the tote is understandable, but when you level accusations as you have in your post that are exaggerated and untrue, it is damaging. There should be laws that protect individuals from people like you. Come to think of it, there are laws as such. For your info---Waskaeyes---the entire tournament was professionally videotaped, including the weigh-ins of every tote that came to the scale. I have in my possession videotape of the weigh-ins which clearly shows a Judge Ruler on the weigh table, and fish being measured on the ruler. For those that have to read this I apologize for the long post and for the extent of which I am forced to respond, but I have been the topic of malicious posts before and I will no longer tolerate them. Waskaeyes, you have been informed of the facts, and if you continue to post innuendo following this post I will take a legal course of action against you. Unlike you Waskaeyes, who hides behind a fictitous username, I make all my posts on this HSOforum and every other HSOforum using my real name. Fact of the matter is, your IP address can be traced to your computer when you registered for this site, and it can also be traced if the computer has been used to register other usernames. This won't be tolerated.

I was at the weigh in saturday and a little disapointed to see that not one time was there a fish measured at the scale. I was standing with a crowd of other fishermen who also fish many tournaments and they couldnt believe that not one fish was ever measured. I talked to 7 different individuals today and they were at yesterdays weigh in and from what they all saw there was not even a ruler at the weigh scale. With that much money on the line for a tournament, and with the number of small fish biting you would think there would be more attention put on that. Just curious as to what some of you who fished it might think of that.

A good friend of mine said one of his fish was measured. So I guess you were misinformed.

I fished the tournament with my wife. On Saturday, we had the 2nd largest fish. We measured our shorter fish multiple times to make sure that fish measured. The penalty is very severe in losing your biggest fish. I can't imagine people trying to "sneak" a fish through with that type of penalty. If they were, they most likely had only 1 fish and it really didn't hurt them or make an impact on the results. Corey and company do things very well and run a top notch tournament.

Rick Jenneke

I fished the tournament with my brother and have no reason to believe that anyone brought or would have even considered bringing a short fish to the scales regardless of how many fish they had. Like canman, we had a fish that was close on Sunday and we checked it at least 4 times throughout the day to make sure it was still over and healthy, which it was. This tournament was fished by good group of guys and if they did have small fish I'm sure they, like us, were keeping an eye on them to make sure they weren't going to lose the weight of their two fish, or if they didn't have any other fish, the embarrassment of bringing in one that was short. This was our first year fishing the tournament and I will be back. A very well organized and fun tournament.

I fished the tournament (5th place finisher) we had two fish on sunday that were right at 15" but didnt even think of keeping them and risk losing our 23" fish. The smallest fish we ended up weighing was 15 3/4". I did notice the guy weighing the fish took a long look in the at the fish in the box, probably looking at the markings Cory was talking about.

This was my first year fishing this tourny and I look forward to participating next year. Thanks cory for all the hard work in putting on this tourny.

Well ran tournament or not Corey, what did “waskaeyes” say that warranted a lashing such as the one you gave him? Yes, he implied that there may have been short fish measured but a simple explanation of the measurements in the bottom of the tub would have been much nicer. I didn’t even fish the tournament this year and I heard others talk about the possibility of short fish getting through the scales as well. It was a simple misconception that obviously more than one person had. Do you honestly think he was trying to bring you down? Do you have that poor of a reputation that you need to get that fired up over a question that someone with 3 posts had? I’m sure everyone would have given his post a lot of merit anyhow. In my opinion you flew off the handle like a child, threatening him that you’re going to take legal action against him. Are you serious? Even if you did find out who that was what could you do?

I personally have only talked with you a couple times Corey and all I can say is my opinion of you has dramatically changed.

I've been a tournament director for a couple of different clubs and I can tell you it's a thankless job. Poeple will complain no matter what you do. Then there's always the one guy in the tournament that pushes the grey area of the rules. When the tournament director has to make a decision there's no way to make the whole group happy, and what you end up with is people complaining behind your back after the tournment. This situation is even worse as you've got a guy anonymously going on a public forum trying to trash the integity of the tournament director; very un-cool!

I read waskaeyes comments as an observation and concern, more that a personal attack. That issue was noticed by people on shore at the weigh in and fisherman in the tourney alike. I also think the issue was addressed and given a good explanation and reason why it happened. I was a little concerned about this also, but accept the answer why things were done the way they were. Just wish I'd have known about the marked totes before. It would have been a non-issue then. Either way, it's a good tournament and I wouldn't want to try keep 150 fisherman all happy either.

waskaeyes,the weigh in procedure started early in the morning,for the teams that had fish that were stressed or fish that were going to be close to the 15 inch mark.You say you've fished tourneys before so you know that fish do shrink,right. With the severe penalty of losing your big fish of the day everyone makes sure of the length!If I'm not mistaken you have questioned Corey's procedures other years?Each year Corey has made changes in the way the tourney has been run in a attempt to make it better,HE has done that again this year.I personally invite you to put your money in for next year and come and enjoy it with the rest of us,instead of sitting on the sidelines and complaining.Good job Corey,Tony OKeefe

I agree with Tony don't stand on the sidelines and complain enter next year. Its a very bold commment to say they didn't have a judge ruler at the weigh table and didn't measure a fish because I personally saw a team before me get ther fish measured, as always great tournament Corey.All this whining seems to be jealousy, I agree the way Corey handled this post.

The next week until freeze up should be great fishing, and I hope Waskaeyes your not keeping any fish under 15", it would be nice to Know your real name and what boat your running out their so I can say Hi. I will be out their running a red skeeter with a 300HPDI on it not hard to miss.

In my opinion you flew off the handle like a child, threatening him that you’re going to take legal action against him. Are you serious? Even if you did find out who that was what could you do?

Pie,

I don't have a problem with anyone questioning anything, or posting their 'personal observations', but when an individual starts posting 'hearsay' and blatantly false statements, I have a problem with that. When 'waskaeyes' states he didn't see a fish measured--- that is his personal observation and that is fine. When he states that he 'talked to 7 individuals the next day and they said from what they saw, there was never even a ruler at the weigh table'---that is hearsay and blatantly false, which is unacceptable to post on a public forum. To what extent am I expected to let someone post false statements? It would have been much different from my perspective if 'waskaeyes' had posted his observations and concerns in his original post, rather than invite discussion by stating...'wondering how the tourney went?---and then in his following posts he starts leveling accusations, that wreaks of someone trying to stir controversy based on false premises. In my original post I explained that fish were measured, that there indeed was a Judge Ruler at the weigh table, and that the entire process was videotaped throughout the day. My statements in my original post were worded to let 'waskaeyes' know that if he is going to make further posts, he best make posts that are true and accurate, and that lies or exaggerated mistruths would be unacceptable--- or there could be consequences. He was simply warned, and if he so chose to continue making false statments after being warned, there would then be a problem, because at that point they would be deemed malicious. Since this is a public forum, to what extent would you expect me to let someone continue making posts that are untrue? In this regard, I had little choice but to issue a fair warning to stop making inaccurate and false posts, because who knows what he'll state next or in continued posts. By issuing a warning, 'waskaeyes' now knows that I object to the accuasations in his posts, so if he continues to make absurd statements or accusations that are unfounded after being warned, it indeed provides me with the grounds to bring legal proceedings against him because he is fully aware of my objections. To clarify, I don't have a problem with him stating his personal observations, but when someone starts posting heresay as absurd as stating there wasn't even a ruler on the weigh table....you have to wonder where they're going with this, what their motivation is, and to what extent they (the person) is/are willing to go, because the statements in his second and third posts are untrue. Am I really expected to sit around and see what outlandish statement he makes next? I simply stated to 'waskaeyes' that fish were measured and that he apparently wasn't there when they were, or he simply missed when one was. I further explained the process for his info, and also took the liberty to let him know that if he posts any further innuendo, hearsay, or direct false posts he will be held accountable. For the record, tracing the user IP of people who make posts is not impossible, because when a person registers on a HSOforum their computer IP is noted. The same IP is noted with the company with whom the person in question has internet service. Finding out who someone is is not that difficult, and frankly, who they are does not matter to me the least. What does matter, is what the person says and/or states in his posts. If 'waskaeyes' was truly concerned or had any questions while at the weigh-ins, why didn't he say something to me while at the weigh-ins as I would have been more than happy to explain things to him, or taken the time to correct or rectify a problem if there was one. To go on a public internet forum and make posts as he did without knowing the facts, or to make insinuations as he did that are completely false, is wrong. Am I really expected to leave the door open to this individual for further false statements? Am I entitled to set the record straight? And am I entitled to warn someone that if they continue to make absurd and unfounded statements that there will be consequences? Those are my rights, and how else would you prefer that I explain it? I think I explained myself pretty much head-on. People need to be accountable for their posts on the internet, and also need to realize that what they post on the internet is a record of such said statements. By 'waskaeyes' own admission, 'he talked to 7 people the next day who stated they never even saw a ruler on the table'. He doesn't state that as a personal observation of his, but rather as innuendo and hearsay, and that's where I draw the line and take exception because it is false. At that point you really have to question the persons' motive, because that is beyond bold, it's reckless. Those are the kind of statements that when taken to task by the person who they are afflicted against, you better hope your 7 buddies whom you talked to don't start running the other way, when you tell them you have a court date regarding false and harmful statements you printed on the internet. In such cases, people are oftentimes forced to print retractions or risk legal proceedings. I'm not interested in that, but I am interested in having my rights protected as it pertains to liable, slander and defamation of character, and will not allow someone to post garbage on the internet that is untrue, point blank. Let's for a moment put the shoe on the other foot.....suppose 'waskaeyes' or 'pieeyed', that I blatantly posted incorrect information or completely false accusations against you on the internet, or in a newspaper. Would you not take exception with that? Would you not react in a manner to defend and fully explain yourself? I can accept criticism, both constructive and unwarranted, but it is extremely unfair to the individual whose responsibility it was to weigh and measure the fish, to have this kind of trash appear on the internet. How do you think he feels? Do you think he appreciates this? There's a reason he's been the weighmaster 4 of the last 5 years and it's because he does a good job at it. He's knowledgeable, he's consistent, and he's fair, and he does have the best interests of the tournament and it's anglers at heart. What more can a person expect or ask for? As stated in my original post, neither the weighmaster nor the tournament is obligated to measure fish just for the sake of measuring them to make it look good for either the people attending the weigh-ins, or the anglers. By the time the actual weigh-ins rolled around, the vast majority of the questionable fish had already been measured and weighed. Do you really expect us to take a 17-inch fish when it is the smallest fish in a tote and measure it just to appease anyone and everyone? Furthermore, we don't make everything known to the anglers as to our methods or ability to readily identify the length of a fish, and believe it or not, there are reasons for that. They know the Judge Ruler is the official tournament ruler, and what the penalty is for a fish under, or for too many fish over and it is fully enforced. Either way, it's as severe as it possibly can get. On the contrary, the fish at this tournament were probably some of the most measured fish you will ever see in a tournament, both by the anglers and by the tournament staff. The anglers are fully made of aware of the consequences of a short fish, or too many over fish at the rules meeting, and it is discussed in fairly great detail. They are also told, that if a fish is deemed to not be legal, there will be no arguments, no second-guessing, or a scene at the weigh-ins. Decision of the weighmaster and/or the tournament director is final. That's pretty clear-cut. For those who apparently don't get it, or can't accept it...this is not a tongue lashing nor was the previous post, but merely someone taking the time to fully explain himself and to make the facts known as they are. Last but not least, since you feel there was a problem at the weigh-ins, or you take exception with my taking the time to explain myself.......maybe you would like to volunteer your services next year. You both can be responsible for measuring the fish and making sure they are legal. I am always looking for people to help out, and maybe this is a positive that can come from this. This is the last time I will respond to anything to do with this post. In the meantime, there is a lot of good fishing ahead of us, so take the time and enjoy it this fall. Tightlines.

How do you register for this tournament? Just from the reading on here it sounlds like it is ran pretty well. Well enough for me to want to try it. If there is room in it for next year I would like to give it a try.

Corey, again you just go off on a tangent, or as you describe it “explaining yourself”? You explained the same thing over and over I almost fell asleep trying to read it. My point was unless you personally know “waskaeyes”, which I don’t think any of us do because he only has a few posts. How can you accuse him of trying to destroy you? He simply said that he didn’t see any fish measured and neither did some of the people he talked to. How is this being malicious? Come on, take it easy! I’ll say this for the last time as well. He never said the tourney was ran poorly! In his eyes the fish didn’t get measured but obviously you explained that to be false, which is fine. I just have a problem with your attitude toward someone you don’t even know. How do you know his intentions? I think you had the right to set him straight and that’s it. Let people read the facts and the fiction and then let them decide. Then they’ll see that this “waskaeyes” character had it all wrong and you guys had it more than under control. By no means was I agreeing with “waskaeyes” I was just disagreeing with your conduct. I felt it to be quite embarrassing on your part. In short I don’t think the tourney needs to change a bit, great job guys. Just think before you attack Corey.