• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

oil/gas mix

Scoot

How do I know if my 150 HPDI Yammy is getting enough oil from the oil reservior? Same question asked a different way: how do I know the mix is right in my gas given that I don't mix it because it's drawn from a reservior?

Seems like I've not used as much oil as I should have over the past few months...

Scoot,

You'd almost have to take it to a dealer and see if they can monitor the computer's oil ratio. A high estimate would be 1 pint for 6 gallons of oil, you'll hopefully be less than that, but that should give you an upper end on where you should be, on the lower end it shouldn't be a ton less, unless you did a bunch of idling.

marine_man

Not so scientific, but what I've done is mark the tank, add 1 pint, mark it again, fill gas tank, run it as normal, re-fill gas tank and then estimate the amount of oil used to the amount of gas used. Usually that will get you in the ballpark.

Have your boating habits changed? Because of the price of gas, do you back off the throttle a little bit? The ratios change with RPM's. Just brain storming here.

I was pondering that very question. I have a 2000 merc 125 2+2. When I bought it a year ago the oil res was full. I have run about three tanks through now the res is a little under half. It seems to be running great. A little smokey at start up, but otherwise perfect. And when do you refill it? Should I wait till almost gone or sooner?

Thanks for the reply, guys. Not a new motor and no change in habits on how I run it. I'll give the mark-the-tank trick a try and see what I come up with.

That's sounds about right. I do know that it goes from the bottom of the motor to the top. It was maintaned at a dealer all the time, should I worry about the oil I get for it? I figure they probably used merc silver or similiar.

I have a couple of evinrudes and 1 optimax, but they all have larger external oil tanks. (2.5gal) I use xd50 in the evinrudes and optimax oil with the optimax. It doesn't hurt the motor to upgrade in oil, it just costs more.