• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

broken claw - big deal?

Tom7227

My 11 year old brit broke a claw off yesterday. Now there is a cone of pulpy material hanging out abpit 3/8 of an inch. Not bleeding any more. Should I cut the material off, let it go, or have the vet do it. The dog doesn't seem to be bothered by it but I am concerned about infection.

Thanks for any info.

I have a yellow lab that jump off some playground equipment and his claws got stuck in the floor of it he riped off one on one side and two on the other. We just tried to keep it clean and put some peroxide on it and they grew back fairly fast called the vet and that's what they were going to do.

Well it proved to be a costly lesson. The bleeding stopped fairly quickly but started again 2 days later. I was concerned about infection and blood loss and so I took him in for the repair. They had to sedate him and it ended up costing $200. Guess not clipping the claws properly can get to be a big expense.

I've learned that if you can get out of the vet for 200 bucks or less you got a deal my dog did the same thing for a day or so but we just kept it clean as possible and it healed up and is fine now. I've had so many vet bills with him, if its possible to not go to the vet the better.Hope your dogs doing better.