• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Female lab losing bladder control

NELS-BELLS

I have an 11 month old female black lab that we recently had spade in Feb. Yesterday I noticed 3 different times where she had sat down and left a puddle. One was in the house and she has never had an accident in the house. I just noticed it yesterday and nothing today other than on her walk tonight, she stopped and peed on the road, which is unusual for her.

The kids and I have been outside playing with her all weekend so maybe she was more tired than normal. Also she is drinking more water lately but it was much warmer yesterday also. She isn't licking herself down there so I don't think its an infection. Is this normal?

Nels

She's most likely lost muscle tone with her bladder muscle due to the lack of estrogen in her body which then causes the leaking. Take her to the vet and have her checked. They will likely prescribe estrogen replacement pills to give her enough muscle tone to stop the tinkling.

I would almost bet 100% that's what going on. We did it for our brittany and this has worked for the last 6 years. Not too bad either. 2 pills / week and only like $50/year for the pills.

The same thing happened with my lab/wire hair mix. After she was spayed she became incontinent. I give her estrogen replacement pills once every week and a half and she is fine. The name of it is Diethylstilbestrol (DES).

Has anyone else with this problem noticed any behavioral changes in their dogs from the beginning of the cycle to the end? My dog is a complete cow early on and at the end of the cycle she acts like a puppy. Could be the wire hair in her...could be that she's a complete knucklehead.

It seems weird, but I can always tell when its pee pill day based on her behavior.

Please keep us updated with what caused this and what your resolution was. Very interested. Thanks

The good news is that she hasn't done it since I posted. Not sure what the cause was. We did call the vet and they told us that we could bring in a urine sample, which we ended up not doing.

If it happens again, we will bring in the urine sample.