• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1988 Toyota camry help!!!

Hi all my wifes commuter car just stalled an hour away from home. This happened approximnately 3 weeks ago also. We put in a new alternator and battery, which fixed the problem. But now it stalled again. She said the radio quit working the lights got dim and then it just quit. Now when she tries to start it just clicks, there is some power to the radio but eventually that goes off (within a minute or so) Anyone got any ideas, bad alternator perhaps?

You'll have to get it started and see what the alternator output is at the battery. Ideally you would like to see 14+ volts. If you see twelve and a half or less check the output voltage at the back of the alternator if its 12.5 or less than it is possible the alternator has failed again.

The parts store should be able to confirm the alt is bad by doing a bench test. Make sure you charge the battery completely before starting the vehicle with the new alternator installed!

You got to watch out when you buy those aftermarket reman starters and alternators, some are real junk. Some they just clean off and repaint them, if is test ok. A few years ago I kept warranting my reman alternator of my Integra and after the fourth on in the same year, I gave up and went to the junkyard. I got a used $10 OEM junkyard alternator and its still working almost three years later.