• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What settings should i use

With my Canon D30, i'm going turkey hunting in missouri. if i'm in the woods with little light i dont want to use the flash but i want to get a good pic. and if anyone has any tips on how to get good pics of turkeys or shoot a them that would help me alot. the lens i have is a 300mm and a 800mm. i'm asking this because i have had this canon only a few days and i dont have the book for it. If i'm successful on the hunt i will show some pics.

thanks much.

Eric

Eric,

I'd set it to manual, in AV, and set the iso to high or the highest setting, like 1600 if possible or highter, (not sure how high you can go with your camera).

Just type in Canon D30 owner's manual on google search, there's all kinds of free downloads. I checked it out. It's a 8.20 megapixel CMOS camera. It's a mighty fine camera! You'll see the owner's manual that tells you how you can change the settings to fit your camera for those situations.

However...are you sure you said a 800mm? The Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Image Stabilizer? That's a $12,000 piece of glass!

Hang in there and Steve will answer your questions better than I can. \:\)

Yeah i ment 800mm. its pretty old but i good shape. it relly gets out there but its vary havey so i dont use it much. i would just like to close to whatever i'm taking pics of

thanks much!!

Eric, first off, are you talking about the D30 or the 30D? Both are Canon digital cameras, the 30D being much newer and the D30 several years old.

In either case, the settings will be the same, but the cameras have different capabilities, and which one you've got will have an impact on the advice we give.

And then tell us a bit about the 300mm and 800mm lenses you have. That's just as important as knowing which camera model. Who made each lens, and what is the widest aperture they can open to. It's possible, based on widest aperture (lowest f-stop number), that the 300 might be your better choice in low light, but that depends partly on which camera you have and on the widest aperture of the 800.

Regardless of camera or lens model, since you'll be in low-light situations, you'll want a very stolid tripod. That alone will allow you to get sharper pictures in much poorer light than handholding.

So help me out with just a little more info and I can help you out a lot more. \:\)\:\)

Getting a good shot with the 800mm will be very difficult without a sturdy tripod. As was mentioned, you will need to use the highest available ISO and the widest aperture to get the fastest shutter speed you can (assuming poor lighting conditions). Even with the 300mm a monopod will help to minimize camera shake. Good luck with the hunt.