• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Older 4-Stroke reliability

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used boat with a 25 hp 4-stroke and would like any to hear about any experiences/opinions on these motors from the years 1999 - 2002. Are they reliable?

Looking at a '99 Honda and a '00 Yamaha now. I know very little about 4-strokes, but heard they are more expensive to repair and am wondering about the reliability of these year's models. It's hard to find used boats with newer 25 hp 4-strokes, but I'm willing to wait if there's a lot of concern over these earlier year models.

Thanks for any comments!

Both those motors were fine. I have a friend with a 25 horse 4 stroke yamaha thats a 00 or 01 and he has had no problems at all. The Hondas are nice as well. I dont think I would have a problem buying either motor if the price was right.

We have a 2000 Yamaha 100 horse along with an 01 T8 kicker it's never been to the dealer other than for winterizing. I think last year I put in a new set of plugs, I'd never have another 2 stroke again if that helps out at all. I'd still do the routine: look over, start, possible compression tests etc. Good Luck you'll really love the gas savings.