• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

90 Yamaha question

Fredd

I have had this issue occur two years in a row, so I need to ask. After trailering 4 1/2 hours up to Rainy for the inaugural opener, my motor has bucked me with the low oil light. I know the problem must be in the screened float that sits at the bottom of the tank because I know that I have the oil reservoir full. What I have had to do is unseal the float housing and seal it back up a couple of times and let the motor run at lower idle for the first half hour to alleviate the problem of the low oil alarm and subsequent throttle shutdown. When I did pull the screened housing last year, I didn't see any problems with clogging/plugging so I don't know if it is a pressure or vacuum thing from the long transport. Both times I had the reservoir filled all the way. Any ideas???

Do you tow with your motor trimmed all the way up? My Yammy 4S did that to me once after I towed it with the motor all the way up. I added a transom saver so that I could tow it as close to vertical as possible and it never did it again. I don't know if it was coincidence, but thought I'd share.

I figured it was something to do with breaking the seal or wiggling the housing (like a problem with vacuum or pressure). It almost seems as though I need to go through a ritual of running it at lower high rpms that first time out for the first ten minutes or so. I had a pro 40 yamaha that did this to me as well. Cold temps, long trailering, overfilling the reservoir??? I just thought that maybe someone else had experienced this phenomenon and had some answers.