• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Camera?

I posted this in the equip/expert info forum as well.

My girlfriend dropped her camera and broke it so i'm in the market for a new one(point and shoot), i've narrowed my choices down to 2...Canon powershot SD870IS(8 pixels) and Canon powershot G9(12 pixels).

I'm moving to AK in a couple months and I want a nice camera that still takes decent pictures while using zoom. The G9 wins in optical zoom with 6x vs the 870's 4x. The g9 weighs twice as much but is pretty light for thar much camera packed into a point and shoot frame. I don't have much experience with cameras but i'm researching and slowly learning. I'm sure that 90% of the pictures I take the SD870 is going to be fine, but for some of the picturesque places in alaska I might want a nicer camera that will take better quality pics. Will the g9 take that much better pictures than the 870 that will justify the $175 price tag difference?

I should add that i'd be willing to try the panasonic tz5 if anyone has any info on the tz series i'm all ears.

So which camera would you choose for Alaska...I'm not going to be lugging a DSLR around so that's out of the question, i just want a nice point and shoot that I can get the most out of.(I may have just answered my question).

Thanks,

Zach

The 870 seems like a nice Camera. I have a Sony H1 12x optical zoom and rarely find myself using all of the zoom. I think 4x is plenty to be honest. I also just got a Canon 300D DSLR which I like a lot. I know the DSLR doesn't interest you due to bulkiness.

Whichever you choose to get e-mail me or call me sometime and I'll give you a HSOforum where to purchase it from, as I can't mention the site here. This site will beat any price around.

Nick