• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English setters vs German Shorthairs

pointerspal

Hey pointerspal you should get together with 2thepoint and myself and setterguy, and yes our drooly slobbery noisey bird dogs that couldn't point a grouse if it was caged, and do some grousin!!!!!!! Love to see that shorthair point some grouse....can't wait!!!!! only 4 months to go....keep in touch.....uplander

We leave the feathering on her head, legs and tail, it grows back quicker than you think and for sure is back in time for the cold weather hunts in late November/December. I must add that she is a real shaggy dog, some have the nice tight hair, she is of the afro variety. Sometimes we have to do it twice a summer. It just aleviates some of the shedding in the house, not completely but we do notice in the vaccuum. Uplander, you should be working on your hook sets instead of surfing the web.

I love my setter. He's a great hunting dog. It almost seems like we are cheating hunting grouse and wood cock over him. he's just a bit off. We joke when we are out in the field with him that he's English. Maybe it's the dental plan?

What's wrong with shaving them I thought that was pretty common? We do it and it works out great. Alot better than picking and cutting out burs for an hour.

Bassguy how often u get that good for nutten setter out for runs? Hunting breeds most of the time do require more exercise than non hunting breeds. Both my setter and shorthair require a minimum of an hour a day for a peacefull evening, but I love it. If I don't take them on a run both dogs are unhappy with me. I have had nothing but positive things to say about setters, I have owned two and they both have been great with kids as well as other pets. I think all breeds my have there "black sheep" however, I hope you do appreciate all that action that dog gives you and someday you might even miss that dog. have a good day.

For sure uplander I would love too. Keep in touch and we will get out this fall can't wait. I get the chills just writing this. Sounds like the drumming reports have been positive.

pointerslpal having to run the dogs or they aren't happy is the nail on the head for me. My cousins dog runs all day and still needs more. They love the dog but it gets a bit over bearing at times. I love setters. My dog runs around chasing chip munks all day. He's 12. Its never enough. Great quality. He's been hit by a car and still hunts. Have a friend who hunts long and hard all season. Ran setters till he found wire hairs. Use to love the setters know he won't hunt with any thing but wire hairs. We had an old lab that is gone now that hunted hard and was easy to be around. Didn't have to be run for hours every day to be happy. Was just happy. Appreciate my dog as you do yours and admire the conviction you have towards the breed. Sure those dogs hunt for you and that is what it is all about. When my setter goes I'll cry like a baby and then spread his ashes all over Minnesota, the Dakotas and Montana. How I get so attached to a dog is just stupid. I'll buy another pup with full knowledge and with little care at the time for the likely outcome.

Have a good up coming season can't get here soon enough.