• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Right prop for 175 opti on a 1800 Pro V

Mykal

I need some expert prop advice. I have a 2007 DC 1800 Pro V with a 175 Opt and a 9.9 Pro kicker. I currently have a SS Vengence 21 pitch that puts me about 51.5 top speed fully loaded. Problem is I can spin this prop at just over the 5750 max recommended rpm when I trim her up. What would you recommend something different, say a Tempest Plus and or a different pitch? I like the speed but I don't want to over rev this engine?

Thanks.

Most guys that I know of are using 19p or 21p Tempest Plus and some are having good luck with 19p Revolution 4. Since you're at the upper end of the RPM range a 21p Revolution might be better than the 19p. In any case find a dealer that has demo props that you can try before spending quite a few hundred dollars. The Vengeance prop you have isn't recommened by Mercury for walleye boats. The Tempest Plus and Rev 4 are larger diameter props and will give you better bow lift.

If you like how the Vengence works you could try a 23 pitch, that will lower your rpms and give you more speed. You'll suffer holeshot and power though.

I agree with Black Bay, the 21 Tempest would be a good option to try. Dropping to a 19 in either the Tempest or the Vengence will almost surely over-rev your motor even more.

If you want more power / holeshot over speed the 21 High Five would be a good option also.

I have the same motor as you, different boat. I tried several props. I didn't stay with the High Five because it didn't give me as much speed (and has really poor handling in reverse). I didn't stay with the Tempest because it performed great with a light load but lost performance very quickly as the load in the boat got heavier. In the end I settled on a 19 Rev 4, I give up a little top end speed with a light load but I run faster than I did with the Tempest with a moderate or heavy load. More blade area (ie. more blades and bigger blades) is better for maintaining performance as the load in the boat increases.

BTW if you get a new prop make sure it clears your trim tab. The props with higher rake and larger diameter will hit the normal trim tab. You may need one that is set back. At your dealer ask for trim tab 822777T 1. It's less than $20.

Mykal

I would recommend double cupping the prop you have. It will pull your Rpm's down 150 to 200, give you a little more top end speed, hold the water better in corners and won't effect your hole shot. We do it all the time with great results.

Give us a call if you have questions

http://www.soderbloom.com/proprepair.html

Ya I agree. Jay cupped my stainless and thinned it out for my yamaha 115 and I got more top end and it holds the water really nice. No more fiddling with trimming up and down in corners. Jay would it pay to pop some exhaust holes on his prop?

Originally Posted By: Northlander
would it pay to pop some exhaust holes on his prop?

My vote in this situation is "no". He's at the upper end of his rpm range and one reason for cupping is to drop the rpms.

It's generally believed that opening up exhaust ports won't increase your rpms, but if you're looking for 50-100 more rpms out of a prop one of the things they suggest is to try opening up the exhaust vents if you can. So even if he gains 50-100 rpms with exhaust ports it might be too much, even after the cupping.

Understood Perch and Black Bay. Northlander, I must admit I was only able to get it out a few times late last fall as I bought it late last year as a Pro demo. It had cannon riggers which are not on it and I never ran with a full tank of gas or totally loaded down yet, so based on what I read on Soderbloms site it looks like I may need to set my ideal weight and do some additional testing.

Jay, do you guys offer a prop swap program if I need to send her in for cupping? I only have one prop, no spare at this time. Or should I pick up a spare prop. Like the other guys mentioned would a Tempest plus in 21 be a good prop to try first if it is a larger diameter blade?

Northlander, good to hear from you again, how's the trolling motor working for you? I need to get up there on Superior for some of that big water action soon.

Mkkal I havent got it wet yet. I have been down with a bad bug. Just got some antibiotics and they seem to be doing the trick. Ill have it out and wet tues/wed.

Mykal get a extra prop from Jay. Once you have it send the old one in. Make sure you test your old prop with a load that you usually run. See how the hole shot is, rpm at mid range and Wide Open Throttle. Let Jay know all the specs and he will send ya a prop that he thinks wil work. If it dont he will exchange it for 1 that will. Once you have a second prop get the old one tuned up and your set. I always carry a extra alum prop in the boat with a extra nut, thrust washer and pins.

-mail me about any questions. We should hook up on Lake Superior. Maybe do a trip swap. That way nobody has to pull a boat too far and save on the soon to be $4 gas.

If you were running late fall, ie. cool weather and cool water, your boat will run slightly faster and slightly higher rpms than it will in the middle of summer. Also, if you didn't run with a normal load you need to do that to. If you're barely exceeding your max rpms in late fall with a light boat then you may have the PERFECT prop set-up on it now.

Just to give you another option, supreme marine in minneapolis has a prop testing program. I think you give them a credit card for a deposit on a prop, and pay $25 for each prop you want to test, and they let you take the props and try them out.

Northlander, hope your feeling better. I do plan on a spare at some point. A trip swap sounds great. PerchJerker, thanks again. I am to do a bit more testing.