• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn kota Vantage question

Fredd

I am installing a new-to-me 74 lb Vantage and have a couple of questions since I don't have a manual. How heavy does the wire need to be??? It looks as though the unit has 6 gauge. I am also wondering how to change the unit from backtrolling setting and if this has to be done when unit is deployed/down if it is the lift up on the directional indicator method.

You pull up on the directional indicator on the top of the Vantage trolling motor and turn it 180 degrees.

The most important part will be geting the Vantage's electrical hooked up correctly.

The Vantage has 3 wires the 24-volt power and the 12 volt power must go to the correct places or your Vantage will be going in for repairs.

In addition to lifting and turning the directional arrow, you also need to slide the thumb tab which is located at the front side of the directional arrow forward towards the handle. (Although this thumb tab is right there, it may appear to be just part of the plastic housing.) If I remember correctly, it does need to be deployed to do this process. You will know you have correctly made alignment when the directional arrow is able to drop back down into position and the thumb tab moves back adjacent to the directional arrow. Be sure the handle is set straight ahead when you do this process.

As far as wiring, the two heavier wires are for the 24 volt operation and the smaller wire is for the 12 volt lift motor operation. Just use a volt meter to wire this correctly and you won't have a problem. Just be sure you don't have 24 volts running to the small 12 volt wire or you will burn out the lift motor.

ccarlson

Yep as stated above, pull the "thumb tab" that is right in front of the direction indicator, pull the direction indicator up and spin motor around. I believe it can be done when it's up. Haven't changed mine around for a while so I forget.

Thanks guys the thumb tab was the piece that I was missing. Does anyone have suggestions on the gauge of wire that I need on the 24 volt side. The 12 volt wire seems to be only about a 10 or 12 gauge but like I said before, the 24 volts wires look to be 6 gauge.