• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cleaning canvas - musty smell/alergies

say_der

I bought a used Fish Trap II a month ago. In the process of cleaning it and getting it ready for fishing, I've noticed a very musty smell. Every time I get near this or sit in it, my nose instantly plugs up and I'm miserable until I've left the area for awhile. Is there anything I can clean the canvas with easily? Do I just need to air it out for awhile or what? I'd really need to get it done before we have enough safe ice in my area.

Thanks for any advice.

Derek

Nautical Ease makes a product...

NAUTICAL EASE MILDEW REMOVER is a Non chlorine based product for removing mildew from vinyl cushions, carpeting and cloth upholstery or curtains.

Most products are a chlorine or bleach base and are not safe for colors. Read the label! As you have to let these products sit on the stained area, bleach is not safe. It does work but bleach and colors don't mix. The secret to mildew removal is to catch it early. Mildew is a growing organism. It is alive. On vinyl cushions the stain can go through to the backside of the material. That's why it may not all come out. It will always look better and depending on the stain, several applications may be needed.

To Use:
First moisten surface, spray NAUTICAL EASE MILDEW REMOVER on stain and brush in. Let set 10 minutes and brush again. Flush with water. Repeat if necessary.

I suggest you spray this NAUTICAL EASE MILDEW REMOVER on and rub a bit... take it to a car wash... high preshure hand spray it with rinse water.
Should work great!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Thanks Dave - I'll have to try that. I'm just wondering how I'll dry the thing after having it at the car wash. I suppose I could set it up in my basement and run the dehumidifier for several days.

Thanks for the bio-baits too. I'm looking forward to trying those.

Dave is correct chlorine will do some damage to the fabric,you can check with the sportng goods dealers I would recommend an anti bacterial cleaner like Dawn "Antibacterial" Dishsoap and then dry it and let sit in the direct sun for the ozone, it will also help to elimanate the odors.
After getting it clean and after sitting in the sun, I would use a silicone based water repellant to protect the fabric.
I hope this helps

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.