• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many hours???

lookin4fish

I have a 2007 Mercury Optimax 115hp. It gives suggestions on proper breakin periods and different hour intervals. I bought it used a few weeks ago, and dont know where it is at in terms of hours it has on it. I would like to run full throttle at times but i dont want to do it till it is broke in properly. is there an easy way to tell how many hours are on it?

thanks

I take it, there is no hour meter on it. I would do a break in period for 5 hours, then take it to a dealer and them check it out.

Have you had it out??? How do you like it so far. What type of boat do you have.

Ask whoever you bought it from. If you still don't know, stay away from extended periods of WOT for a little while.

this is from Mercury's site.

What is the proper break-in procedure for an OptiMax outboard?

Break-in is important to insure correct engine performance and life. Follow the procedure listed in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual. Generally, for the first two hours we recommend avoiding extended periods of idle or wide-open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil during break-in; OptiMax engines use programming inside the computer to increase the oil mixture during the specified break-in period.

Break-in procedures are described in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual supplied with each engine. Use the Bookshelf link on the Mercury Dockstore page if you need to place an order for a replacement manual.

I'd probably pull the plugs and have a look at them. Do they look like they have at least a few hours on them?

I'm with boatfixer... take a look at the plugs and see what they look like. If you're not sure I'd vary your RPM's for 5 hours, or don't run at one speed for a great length of time... the computer on the optimax will take care of the oil mixture.

marine_man

So far I really like the motor. quiet, virtually no exhaust, and lots of power. i have it on an 07 fishhawk 1750. the previous owner said that it probably did nto reach breakin time, so i have been doing the recommended break in procedure as if it was the first time the motor ran. (I have already been running the motor on the Mississippi) i was just wondering if there was some feature or aftermarket product i could use to tell the actual hours. closest merc dealer from me is 50 minutes, and if i can avoid driving there, i would like to.