• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Doing your own repairs

boatfixer

Since this is the time of year when most of us are digging out our summer equipment in preparation for the upcoming season, I'd like to take the opportunity to remind everyone that while doing our own repairs is something new we can learn and a chance to save a few bucks, safety is also something to be considered. Know what you are doing, if you don't, ask someone who does.

In addition to checking oil levels, batteries, and things of that nature, how many of you check the steering system, or control cables for wear or excess play. Look for loose connectors or fasteners. When you take it out of storage check the livewell system, pumps, thru hull connecters and hoses that may have been damaged by mice or squirrels. These are good places for water to enter the boat at a pretty good rate.

These are just a couple of things off the top of my head, the list could go on and on. But my main point is to bring about the awareness of safety whatever the situation.

I'd like to encourage everyone to learn more about their boat. I believe that the more you know, the safer you and everyone aboard will be.