• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor mounting help needed Clueless

Not really. For the most part deploy the trolling motor and make sure your clearances are where you want them. After making sure it deploys at the right spot and everything looks good, put the TM back in the cradle and make sure it lies parallel with the bow gunnel. This way it is out of the bow area when it's stowed, but not hanging over the edge on the outside of the boat.

I'd position it in the stowed position so it's where you want it, and then slide it far enough forward so that it deploys correctly.

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
I'd position it in the stowed position so it's where you want it, and then slide it far enough forward so that it deploys correctly.

Correct, this is how I do it also.

It works better with 2 guys to test it in the deployed position, since it probably won't sit on the boat until it's bolted down.

Before you actuall mount it, make sure its a dock friendly mount, yes you may have it mounted to clear everything when deployed, but is it going to hit the dock when mooring or coming to dock at the end of the day. Also right or left side? depending on how it deploys and if you arevright or left handed may influence which side the motor will actually be trolling from when down. Good Luck

Do yourself a favor and don't make the mistake that I made. Mount the motor far enough forward so that if the motor accidently gets turned on, while not deployed, the prop doesn't hit the bow or any part of the bow cover and break.

Props are expensive. I didn't have enough sense to move my motor farther forward until I bought 2 new ones.

LOL!!! boilerguy that sounds like one exensive lesson if you ask me WHOOPS thanks for the heads up on that no one before you happened to mention that apparently havent had the problem yet LOL! Thanks for the gunwhale pointer also guys I had one other question should I put a quick release bracket on my bat or doesnt it pay?

I went ahead and made one at school in machine tool class and I was very happy the way it turned out and it was free of course minus my labor and to boot I got an A on it and substituted it for one of my other projects I would've had to make otherwise so it turned out to be a win win situation. I will be posting a pic later.