• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Advice - Got Motor - Need Boat

Roscoe16

I need some opinions. I have a 50HP Honda 4 stroke tiller outboard motor and am looking for a boat to put it on. I am a Lund guy and looking at their new boat lineup the 1660 Classic Tiller is the only real option. It is rated for a 60HP which worries me, my 50HP may not be powerful anough? The 1625 Classic Tiller is rated only for a 40HP. The 1625 Classic Sport is rated for a 50HP. Why would there be a difference in rating between those 2?

I would like to find something new old stock, or a couple years old used, if possible. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not necessarily looking for someone who has the boat I need, mainly looking for comments on compatible models for my motor. Thanks.

Roscoe16

50 hp and 60 hp outboards are essentially the same thing, I wouldn't be worried about putting your 50 on a boat that was rated for 60.

If you're looking for new non-current, my advice would be to start calling the biggest dealers you can find --- I don't know if this makes sense, but if they sell more boats it seems like there's a better chance they'd have more boats in inventory??? Good luck.

I think you'll be just fine with a 50 hp motor on one that's rated for 60 hp max. And I agree with Perchjerker - hit the big dealers up as they often have the most non-currents on the lot. Bigger dealers order more boats in that aren't paid for, vs a smaller dealer who only orders a couple in hoping to sell them.

Good luck!

marine_man