• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2005 F150 Brakes

I think I have brake master cylinder that is going bad. The symptoms are. When the brake pedal is pushed with a firm and steady presure the pedal will go to the floor. also alldata says you should see a surging/bubbling in the resorvor when the pedal is pushed and released, I see nothing. If I give the pedal a quick push then apply the brakes the pedal is firm.

As always, Thanks for your input

That is certainly a common symptom however if it is equipped with rear drum brakes I would certainly take the time to check too see if the wheel cylinders are leaking and/or the adjustment on the rears is correct.

If the master cylinder is determined to be the cause go with a new unit not a rebuilt. The new units are generally much better. The remanufactured ones always seem to have problems included the same problem you have described. Its a little more for new but the time you save in possible having to do the job more than once is priceless!!

Before condeming the master cylinder, what is the complaint with the brakes? On almost all new Fords I can push the pedal to the floor if I want to. If your concern is that you have a low pedal, did you just put new brake pads on, sometimes it takes awhile to break in! If the concern is that sitting at a stop sign with a normal pressure on the brake pedal, you notice the truck wants to start rolling unless you apply more pressure, then its a possible master. I havent replaced to many master cylenders on the newer body style trucks so far!