• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Livewell or not That is the question????

What is everyones opinion on going through the trouble and costs of installing a livewell since you cant transport water no more and end up putting your fish on ice at the end of the day mostly looking for feedback on the pro's and con's on this subject. Thanks in advance

During the warmer months July-Aug. I just put ice in the livewell. If I'm putting them in there, they are coming home anyway,and no reason to keep them alive. Especially Panfish.

What kind of boat is it? I was toying with the idea of installing a livewell in my old 16' aluminum Lund, probably inside one of the seats. I've decided that I'm going to make a portable livewell instead and bring it along only when I plan on keeping fish or using minnows. I wasn't really that excited about putting a couple holes in my boat, plus I probably wont use it that often anyway to justify all the work to try to find something that would fit in my boat and do the permanent install, but mainly, I don't want to sink my boat. crazy.gif

I picked up a heavy duty storage container from Menards and already have a pump for it, next I need to figure out what kind of connectors and hoses I'm going to need and put it all together. It will probably be a few weeks yet before I do it because I'm busy with other stuff, but I'll post pics if everything turns out as planned.

I have an old 14' Lund that was modded. I took out the middle bench and installed a flat floor. When I plan to keep fish, I bring a cooler out and set that in the middle of the floor and put the tackle bags on either side of it. Bag of ice on the way to the lake and I am good to go. Works great, if you want to keep a fish alive for a while, there are always stringers too. I just don't think it is worth the hassle to try installing a live well in a boat like mine.

I put ice in my livewell or cooler for keeping and transporting fish. I'm using ice more and more all the time now.

I run water in the livewell if I have minnows, or if I'm cleaning my fish at the boat ramp, or if I'm releasing my fish after a tournament. A livewell is really nice for minnows if you've got some delicate ones like shiners, or some big oxygen-burners like redtails or creek chubs.

I'd just go with a cooler and a bag of ice if I know I will be keeping fish. Or the cooler with a 12v aerator pump and a chunk of ice if using as a livewell, for a little tourney where you want to release fish after a weighin, or for keeping minnows.

We removed a livewell from a 16' boat to make more room. Have two livewells in a 18' boat, and we only use the smaller rear one as an actual livewell and baitwell. I think a cooler would actually work better than livewell/baitwell if you keep it cool and have 12v aerator.

Good luck though! I just think a livewell is more useless than useful unless you also use it as baitwell or you fish tournaments a lot.