• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaking brake line

I think my 99 dodge caravan is about on its last legs. Now I have a leak where the lines from the front go into a block in front of the back drivers side tire. What is the block and are the lines replaceable. It looks like one line comes out and goes to each rear tire. My local fixit guy is making a killing off of me.

merganser,

Do you get a red brake light on in the dash cluster? Do you have a soft pedle or lost braking pressure? Do you see fluid streaking out of this area, or is it just wet?

In response to shack bash, ALL of the above. It leaks, the light comes on, the brake gets squishy, I refill, regain pressure and the process starts again. I seems to be getting worse and that is what is worrying me. It used to be a very slow process but now I have to refill the resevoir every 3-4 days. Airjer, I can't quite tell for sure... it almost looks like it is leaking at the fitting that goes from that block to the back passenger side assy. I guess I should probably try and tighten that fitting first. Is that block welded to the frame?? I haven't stuck my nose all the way in but it sure appears to be leaking in the area I just explained. Do those fittings ever just vibrate loose? I just had the hub and bearing replaced... maybe my fixit guy didn't make enough money the first go 'round and wanted to make sure I had to come back in for more wallet wacking. He didn't really say anything about it leaking at that time so it definately has gotten worse since I had it in for repairs a month ago. My big worry is that it will just let go all the way and then I will be in for a world of hurt.

Sorry to say this dude, but this vehicle is very unsafe to drive. It should not be on the road. You could loose total braking power at any time and it will not be pretty.

What I would do is having it towed into the garage and have them fix it. Steel brake lines will have to made and the (proportioning/transfer) block might have to be replaced. Unless you want to give it a shot. You will have to measure steel brake lines and bend them. Make sure the correct fittings are used. You can purchase random lengths at Napa to fit, but you might have to cut and flare the damaged one. It most likely is the block that is leaking, but getting the old steel line fittings out, might ruin the lines. Then they would have to be replaced.

I really encourage not driving any further. It most likely will end being your fault if an accident occurs. I would not want to be in front of a vehicle like this while driving on the freeway or roads.

Sorry to sound blunt, but it is true. \:\)

Good luck

Originally Posted By: merganser
I guess I should probably try and tighten that fitting first. Is that block welded to the frame?? I haven't stuck my nose all the way in but it sure appears to be leaking in the area I just explained. Do those fittings ever just vibrate loose? I just had the hub and bearing replaced... maybe my fixit guy didn't make enough money the first go 'round and wanted to make sure I had to come back in for more wallet wacking. He didn't really say anything about it leaking at that time so it definately has gotten worse since I had it in for repairs a month ago. My big worry is that it will just let go all the way and then I will be in for a world of hurt.

The block should just unbolt. These fittings do not come loose (that I vere have seen).

I do not think the shop would do this (depends on what shop). From a liability stand point, it would not be worth it.

I know the shop wouldn't do anything like that. I guess my point was that it did have a slight leak all winter long (I park in the same spot and noticed a little spot forming this winter) and when I had my hub and bearing replaced it wasn't leaking enough for the repair man to be too worried about it. Now it is definitely a noticeable event. I was just kind of joking around about the wallet wacking. It is just now that it has gotten warmer it seems to be leaking a lot more. I have an apt. set for monday am and she'll be parked in the driveway until then. Fortunately out her in rural america I only have to drive 2 blocks to get to the shop. Thanks again for the input.