• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lens rental?

Looking at renting a lens for our Hawaii trip in three weeks. I have an XTi with the kit lens at the moment, and I just don't know if that will be enough for all the photo options out there.

Anyone know of any cheaper places to rent a lens, or possibly a place in Maui that might?

Any opinions as to what a good lens to rent would be? I can see us taking up close pictures of flowers, waterfalls, and also just scenery pics.

I guess we should get a tripod also...any better low cost ones out there? Saving for the trip so I don't have a ton of money to spend on other stuff.

Locally West Photo rents. For weekly rentals you take the daily rate times 3.5. There are a few on-line rentals that are very good as well.

As far as what lens to rent well that is tough. I travel weekly and there are two lenses that always go with me, a 17-40/f4 and the 70-200/2.8. I also carry the 1.4 TC just because its small and compact and works well to get more reach out of the 70-200 for only a one stop penalty. Those work well for me, but your 18-55 kit lens already almost covers the lower end of that range. The kit lens will do an acceptable job for you if you are saving pennies.

You definitely want to have a landscape lens for the Hawaiian scenery but you may find something in the 70-300 range come in handy as well. Probably run you about $100 for the week for a lens in this range.

As far as tri pods go there are a number of sub-$100 units by Manfrotto, Slik, etc. Buy one that is light enough for travel and not so heavy you won't carry it with you. I prefer a ball head and a quick release plate as well. You will not get a studio quality tri pod for that price but it should do an adequate job for your trip and light duty use.

Most important make sure you have plenty of card space for all the pictures you will take! Should be a great trip.