• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flouro on spinning reel?

Bass Rebel

I use flourocarbon on some of my baitcasters but have not tried it on a spinning reel. I have a shimano sahara 2500 that I would like to try the new berkley flouro on. Any suggestions on the heaviest size line I can use that won't come coiling off the reel?

Line size will depend on what you decide you are going to use this rod for. On my spinning reel I use 8 to 10 lb Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon. Just make sure then when you are putting the line on the reel that you don’t over fill your spool. Make sure that is still a good lip on the bail so that line cant come coiling off. \:\)

Floro is stiffer and does have a tendancy to coil more so than a regular mono or Copoly!... I have used 8lb with little to no problems, 10 can get a bit hard to deal with at times, unless you under fill the spool, but then you give up casting distance.

I've experimented with several Fluro's on spinning reels. Just like mono, some fluro's are more stiff that others, and you'll have more issues with the stiffer brands on a spinning reel. Line size is also a factor. The smaller the diameter, the less stiff it seems, and easier to manage on spinning reels.

With that being said, I through 6 to 10 lb lest on my spinning reels. I've had the best luck with Seagaur and Sunline, both from a durability standpoint, and manageability (is that a word?) on spinning reels. Note though that I have not tried them all. Berkeley's line might be OK? I've only used Gamma in 20 LB test on a baitcaster, but it has VERY little memory (less stiff) and I've been extremely happy with it. However it's a little pricey.

Hiya -

On a 2500 size reel, 8 is probably your upper limit.

Personally, I like bigger spinning reels for most applications - less line twist, longer casts, better balance on longer rods. They can definitely be a plus with fluoro too. I have 4000-size reels for most of my fluoro applications other than drop-shotting where I don't have as much trouble with a slightly under-filled spool.

One other thing that really helps with fluoro is getting into the habit of closing the bail manually rather than snapping it over with the reel handle. Don't totally understand the physics of it but you get a lot less coiling at the start of the retrieve closing the bail manually. It gets to be second nature pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

RK's little tip about closing the bail manually is a good idea with all line. The mechanics of a spinning reel and how the bail is flipped by turning the reel handle, puts between a 1/4 to 1/2 a line twist each time... It may not seem like much.. but 100 casts later... you got upwards of 50 twists.. no good!!

I have been closing the bail manually for as long as I can remember. Never knew about the bail twisting the line but that is a good tip. I don't get much line twist on the summer spinning rigs, but the ice rods, I just can't seem to keep the twist out of them with mono.

I think one thing that may influence the line size is also which rod, namely the length. Your typical 6 ft rod don't fare as well in bigger reel size, namely the wide spool. As since the line that unwinds from it may 'slap' more and come into contact with the rod and moreso on the first line guide. Smaller reel with smaller spools might match up better in terms of performance. Shimano 2500 is average size, good overall for just about any rod length. 6 ft rods and under use a 1000 or 1500 size. 7 ft rod and over use a 4000 size, it works very well. 10# test on 4000 size reel and 7 ft rod, is a good match up. 6# test on spare spool and reserve that for finesse needs.

I own two Sahara 2500s.I believe I have both of them spooled with 8lb Vanish Floro. Don't seem to have a problem at all with them, however, I would only go to 10lb max due to the spool size.

I used to use 6-10lb test on spinning rods, now I tie a flouro leader onto braid with a back to back uni knot. The smaller diameter of braid allows me to go with higher lb tests. I use 20lb braid and different test leaders for different applications.