• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Hitch" in the Kings step

swedishpimple

I have an 06 Suzuki KQ 700. It is a great machine....but it seems to have a "hitch" in its step.

It is most noticable while plowing. After I shift from reverse to Hi/Low there is a slight "lag" before the King wants to go. Then there is a slight [jerk-bait] and off we go.

I have not looked at anything yet....from my snowmobile days I would think there may be a chunk missing out of the belt (hopefully that is all)

Any Ideas??? Clutch?? Drive Shaft???

Definitely the belt. Change it out and see how it does.

The KQ has a terrible low end lag built into the ECU, and it is hard on the belt. If you don't already, make sure you use low when going slow, towing, or plowing.

Between the engine braking and the lag, it is very hard on the belt, especially when doing any work in high range.

I'm not sure how the VDI is doing with the 700 motor, but it may be a consideration to get rid of the low end lag.

Also, do you have over-sized tires?

Suzuki built the lag into the ignition timing to avoid anyone flipping over backwards. The lag exists up to approximately 9 mph. I doubt if you have belt issues. Not with the machine only being 2 years old and especially if it's been under normal conditions and not beat on.

There are other ECU modules out there that supposedly eliminate the lag. The new 2008's are better than the '06-07 models but it's still there to some degree.

From your description, I would bet this is your problem.

I've heard that after you get past the lag, the Kings come to life and can run with the Kawi's (no offense Roofer). This is only hear-say and have not witnessed this myself.

LEP7MM, are you saying there is nothing wrong with his machine? That all he is feeling is the ECU hitting it's timing?

I have not owned a Suzuki, but have ridden one. LEP has had a Suzuki, so he may know a bit more about it. I think there are a few others here with a KQ as well.

Yes, they will run with the Kawi's on top end along with a few others. That is, if they catch them from the start. \:\)

There is no lag in the motor...it feels more "mechanical"...a little click and a [jerk-bait] when it goes into gear....

stock tires too

and yes.... Kingquads are very fast...I weigh about 320# and run circles around my buddies grizzlies....popo 700's....Kawi Prairie and Rincon..it is a sporty and snappy bike..top end is not an issue....just the little clunk

is the hit or [jerk-bait] as you're just starting to move? In that case, it could be a belt or a worn or dirty clutch.

If there's a bad spot in the belt, I would think the issue would be in the entire range of travel and speed, forward and reverse.

I had the Vinson but never had any trouble with the drive system. There was no lag built into the machines until the new King came out.

The only thing that concerned me about the Vinson is the engine mounts were breaking on the earlier models and when I picked mine up, there was no foil tape to prevent the exhaust from melting the plastic. After 15 miles, the dealership replaced the plastic free of charge. Other than those 2 issues, it was a great machine.

Does it happen everytime you go into forward range, or once in awhile? Sounds like a dirty clutch or glazed belt? Mine will do something like this 1 out of 10-15 times? Doesn't happen enough for me to be concerned yet?