• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 FishHawk 1850 top end speed

Musky_Madness

Originally Posted By: PerchJerker
 Originally Posted By: menomax
The Mercury will run faster, but also run at a higher RPM than the Yamahas.

Actually, I think the Merc runs at lower rpms. I have a 175 Opti and the rpm range is 5250 to 5750, I usually run around 5500 to 5600 with a full load and higher with a light boat. I think the yam and suzuki 4-strokes run about 6000 rpms (if I remember correctly)?????

Another thing to look at if your looking for a few more miles per hour, make sure the dealer preps it right. What bolt hole are you on? What is % of slip? How much trim do you need to give to max your RPMS? If you put the motor up one bolt hole up on the transom you gain 100 rpms. Put that motor up has high as you can, make sure you watch your water pressure gauge. Test props, pitches and styles. Some dealers will let you test them with out a charge. I bet if you set that rig up right, you could push 55-56mph at 6000rpms. Good luck and have fun. I believe getting there is half the fun!

I think 55-56 is too much to get with your boat and a 150 (unless you take all weight and gas out of the boat and try for speed only), but like menomax said....... if you like tinkering with this kind of stuff, and if your dealer or boat company will work you on it, you can definately tweak and maximize performance by testing different props and different motor mounting heights. Hopefully your dealer will get it set up right (or as close to right as possible in the shop) ---- then it's up to you on how much more you want to tweak. Raising your motor brings other things into play besides just water pressure, it can affect cavitation and planing ability at certain speeds, usually not for the better but you never know until you try. I spent two summers running different props at different mounting heights until I settled in on my set-up.

The newer Yamahas are now spec'ed at 6000RPM (HPDI), the Merc (depending on the model, are spec'ed in at 5500 to 6500.

I don't think that 55 MPH is out of the question very possible is rigged right. Most dealers don't set up the boat for speed, they rig them at the mid range. I have 3 SS props that I use though out the year- always looking to squeese every MPH as I can.

Well today we worked the competition and they have a 07 Fish Hawk 1850 with a Merc 150 Opti hanging on the back for $1700 less. Would it be worth the difference. The salesman was trying to tell us that the Opti is nearly as quiet as the 4 stroke at WOT. WE find that hard to believe.

Funny story, we go to the competition for a quote and the "sales manager" is the old manager from where we bought the trade in boat originally! See this post for more details http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1109472#Post1109472

The salesman promised us the world about beating the other dealer and then brought us into the manager for the dealing part and then the sales manager was quite surprised! What goes around, comes around!

...the Merc (depending on the model, are spec'ed in at 5500 to 6500).

You got my curiousity up and I had to look --- always curious about any changes they make to newer models of my stuff grin.gif The regular Optis like I have are still 5250 to 5750. The Opti Pro XS and the Verado 4-strokes are higher, in the range you stated.

I originally propped my boat for max speed and could hit 54 with a super light load, 51 to 52 by myself and a normal load of fuel and gear. The problem was all the speed I lost with a "normal" load with that setup, 1 guy would cost me 3 mph and 2 guys and a full fishing load would drop me to 46. So I changed again and now have my boat propped for a normal load. With a very light load I can maybe squeeze 50 out of it, but with 2 guys and full gear I can run 49 and with 3 guys I can run 48.

But........I keep thinking about getting another "speed prop" for a 2nd prop and having it "worked" and using it some of the time grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Musky_Madness
The salesman was trying to tell us that the Opti is nearly as quiet as the 4 stroke at WOT. WE find that hard to believe.

I wouldn't use the term quiet for either of those motors at WOT. The Opti will still be the loudest, but the 4-stroke gets pretty close to it at WOT. To put it another way, there's a bigger difference in volume at lower rpms than at higher rpms.

PerchJerker-

Just a few questions for ya--

What size rig?

Max RPM at WOT

How much trim do you have to give to reach max speed/RPM?

How's hole shot?

What pitch prop?

Your running the 175 Merc, I know that has the larger hub, is your prop a 14"-14.5" hub?

What hole are you on your transom?

Do you know how many inches your running below the deck?

I'm just cutious what hole your motors are mounted in on this boat. Mine is one hole up off of the transom. Next week I plan on raising the motor one hole into the third hole. It would be nice to know if that works on this boat or is it is to high.

What size rig? 18.5 ft Ranger

Max RPM at WOT 5650+ light load, 5550+ heavy load

How much trim do you have to give to reach max speed/RPM? all the way out, with 21 pitch tempest couldn't quite go out all the way

How's hole shot? really, really good

What pitch prop? 19 pitch Rev 4, don't know the diameter

Your running the 175 Merc, I know that has the larger hub, is your prop a 14"-14.5" hub? Don't know, it's the hub kit Ranger sent with the prop

What hole are you on your transom? lowest hole, motor as high as it goes

Do you know how many inches your running below the deck? Not sure what you mean??? Prop height??? Motor can't go any higher, if I try I can just barely get it to cavitate now, doesn't do it under normal operation though. Cavitation plate is slighly above bottom of the hull but water pressure is fine

Originally Posted By: Musky_Madness
Well today we worked the competition and they have a 07 Fish Hawk 1850 with a Merc 150 Opti hanging on the back for $1700 less. Would it be worth the difference. The salesman was trying to tell us that the Opti is nearly as quiet as the 4 stroke at WOT. WE find that hard to believe.

You will be happy with an OPTI for sure. They may be a bit louder, but you will like the extra punch and top end as well as considerable fuel economy. It is surprising how my 150 does on gas. Looks like you would have an extra 1700 to spend on electronics also.

Originally Posted By: PerchJerker

What size rig? 18.5 ft Ranger

Max RPM at WOT 5650+ light load, 5550+ heavy load

How much trim do you have to give to reach max speed/RPM? all the way out, with 21 pitch tempest couldn't quite go out all the way

How's hole shot? really, really good

What pitch prop? 19 pitch Rev 4, don't know the diameter

Your running the 175 Merc, I know that has the larger hub, is your prop a 14"-14.5" hub? Don't know, it's the hub kit Ranger sent with the prop

What hole are you on your transom? lowest hole, motor as high as it goes

Do you know how many inches your running below the deck? Not sure what you mean??? Prop height??? Motor can't go any higher, if I try I can just barely get it to cavitate now, doesn't do it under normal operation though. Cavitation plate is slighly above bottom of the hull but water pressure is fine

Looks like your set, not much more to give with being at the top of the RPM range. You could try to run an off pitch prop like a 20. I have a 4 blade 21, 3 blade 21 and a 3 blade 22. The 22 is a great prop that I got really cheep because it is an off size pitch. Good Luck.

Nice rig!!! I got an 07 G3 with yamaha 115 last year. I am really impressed with the yamaha! always starts, runs really quiet and great gas usage! I have also heard great things with the opti"s. I think youll be alot happier with this boat than the last one! Have a great fishing year, I am going crazy waiting for the hard water to leave so i can get my baby out again!!!