• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drop Shot rod

TonkaBass

Sproguy, I think we need to clarify exactly which line.

Actually Gamma copoly line (and many other lines) would be the exception to the IGFA line rule. You fish with 10# Gamma the diameter is in likeness to 10# test IGFA Ande's .300mm, but you get a much higher break strength in Gamm. 10# Gamma would be break close to 14# test. Smaller diameter higher test# line break. Strictly Gamma has an advantage in break strength.

Take for example, when I use Silverthread Excalibur 12# line .330mm, the diameter is much larger compared to to 12# test IGFA Ande .325mm.

However if I should switch to Silverthread Super 10# .287mm the diameter is smaller than 10# test IGFA Ande.

Keep in mind that manufactured test# doesn't mean a line will perform like that on label. Some have higher test breaketter some are worse.

IGFA in flouro's rate smaller int test#. 10# is .280mm. 10# Gamma Edge is .310mm which is close to equal 12# IGFA Ande .300mm. Since Sunline is IGFA then I assume tht Sunline's line are equal to Ande's line. Meaning an IGFA florocarbon line will outperform Gamma Edge flouro.

(unless I've totally got my IGFA chart wrong, then oh well)

Slippery,

You got me if you right or not???? My intention was to compare Fluoro to Fluoro. As the discussion was about Sunline vs another brand and why I use it. In this case most of the focus was on Gamma. I assumed we were discussing fluoro as most of the posts had said it in it.

I got my info from Sunline package, Tackle Tour, Gamma Package and various places on the web, mostly western based bass sites. If I am wrong then I am wrong but my intention was to compare diameter to diameter. The larger discussion was comparing which lb/diameter you are using and what range of line are you using. I admit openly that I have taken it to an unhealthy extreme when I begin to compare diameter line to diameter line. I was using the discussion to explain why I use Sunline. My intention was never really to understand or compare IGFA lines but rather to discuss Sunline vs Gamma.

As far IGFA rated goes I will defer to you because as I've stated it took me most of my life to understand it and am still not a 100% clear on it.

Well if you just compare fluoro's then overall Sunline is better than Gamma.

IGFA confuse me at times because they get down to each line type, the diameter, and break strength base on a certain IGFA approved test method. So they have thin line, thick line, flouro line, braid line, other other line classes that will confuse us even when we compare on IGFA line to another.

Best thing about IGFA is line break strength is as packages says, so consumer's don't have to question diameter to labeled #. You won't wonder about line's like Yozuri Hybrid 4# test with break strenght close to 8# just to use Youzuri Soft 4# test with break strength about 3#. In a way, I'm always looking for good line with small diameter. The only way to tell if it works for each person is to spool it on their rod and reel combo and go fishing.

Tackle Tour is really a good site for independent review.