• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New canoe or kayak

Last year I bought an otter stealth 2000 and while it is a nice boat it is just too heavy for me(can't protage/drag very far without feeling like your going to die if uphill at all). I love the stability of it and room and dry storage, but between the weight and how its pushed around by wind-very hard to paddle by yourself if windy I am going to sell it and buy a canoe or kayak for fishing/duck hunting/scouting. I have already done a lot of research and having a hard time deciding of what would work best for me. I want the canoe or kayak to be big enough for me, 75-100lb dog(getting a chessie this fall), fishing gear or duck decoys(1-2 dozen), gun etc. I do not need to be able to stand up in it, but also dont want it to feel that tippy and would like to be able to shoot my gun out of it safely. I will be using it in temps below freezing so definatly don't want to take a swim. The shallower drafting the better. I will use it mostly on small to medium sized rivers with some lake use. I would like to be able to do weekend camping trips out of it. Speed it not as big of a concern as stability for me, but i also would like to paddle up river without killing myself and have the wind not make it so that i am paddling back and forth more then forward. With all this said i have been looking at the old town predator 140 kayak, old town predator 133 canoe, old town osprey canoe, wenonah fisher/airondak/kingfisher. Does anyone have experience with these canoes/kayak or have any other suggestions that i could look into? How easy is it to get in and out of a kayak, Some of the smaller rivers will most likely have beaver dam pull overs, will i be able to do this in a kayak without getting wet? How will they compare going through thick vegitation(wild rice). I like the lower seating in a kayak for sneaking on ducks before flush or hiding in cover bett, but like the canoe for capacity and also possible to bring other people with. Ill stop rambling now i guess grin.gif What are your thoughts on this and what would be best for the things i want to do? Thanks for the help on making my decission,

Blake

I'm a kayak lover but also have spent my share of time in canoes. And from what you are describing, IMO a canoe will be your best bet.

Google canoes - there are ALOT of options out there to fit your needs, and in all price ranges.

Good luck, and have fun

I would have to agree that a canoe is probably gonna be your best bet. Its gonna have more load capacity and be able to support a big dog too. Stability is always kinda tough on smaller boats, but something in the 15-16ft range would be fine.

Has anyone here every paddled the nova craft bob special canoe, or the prospector by nova craft 15' or 16'? I was also wondering if anyone has an opinion on the wenonah adirondack, prospector, aurora or kingfisher? Thanks,

Blake