• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coincedence or Consequence?

eyepatrol

Last weekend fishing a particular lake I was able to have good success catching 'gills in 24fow from 4" - 8.5" with most in the 7" - 7.5" range. They'd come through in small schools and were neutral to slightly above neutral.

Today, on a different spot on the same lake and same depth, the 'gills were stacked thick (sometimes 5' thick) adjacent to some spawning grounds, much, much more aggresive and the size was much better with a majority of 'gills in the 7.5" - 9" range.

With the warm weather from this past week, is what we experienced today (bigger schools, bigger fish, more aggressive) more of a coincidence of being in a different spot, or a consequence of the warming weather and impending spring thaw? Or maybe both?

Whatever the case may be, it was one of the most fun outings me and my buddy have ever had!

I would say you found a transition area where the fish were relocating and the first time you fished that spot it was only the beginning of the transition. Those fish were staging for some reason and you happened to find them as that process was happening. Usually it's the smaller fish that take over an area first. They are a little more spunky \:\)

What type of forage did you see down there? Where they feeding on minnows? Insects? Did you happen to see what they were after?

First thought that came to mind was insects,or a concentration of plankton, as well. Was it a sticky bottom area that was being fished? Same question that MJ asked about transition areas, I suppose.

Actually Matt, a majority of the crappies we caught were small....6"ers, but we did pick up one that was 11.5". And perhaps the larger crappies are just starting to slide into this area. The 'gills were mostly what I consider large/big as described in my first post.

As for the forage, I don't have an underwater camera and there wasn't any bug life that I could pick up on the flasher, but I was out say 30 yards from the base of the deep breakline in 24' of water over a muddy bottom. If I had to guess, they may be feeding on bloodworms.

You've been on this lake before, but since you're done at BLC, I'd venture a guess that it's been a couple years since you've fished it. ;\)