• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEST CALIBER TO CHAMBER A HANDGUN FOR WHITETAIL

If you were in the potition to have a custom handgun built for whitetail, what caliber would you pick?? I'm considering .243, or 6mm. Think this would be low recoil and perform very well. I'd like to have a handgun for hunting state wide. Any thoughts?

I have shot a Weatherby CFP in 7mm08. The recoil was easily manageable and the accuracy and velocity were pretty good. A few years ago Savage chamberd thier Striker handguns in the 7mm WSM. I should have snagged one then because these guns now go for a premium price. The 7mm WSM has a usefull case capacity of 5.02 cc's compared to the 7mm08's 3.32 cc's. This fat little cartridge is an efficient cartridge getting good velocity even with a short barrel.I think this or any of the short fat little nonbelted magnum rounds upto 7mm would be perfect for a deer handgun. For a larger caliber the 308 Winchester or the new 338 Federal would be manageable as for recoil and the new Federal cartridge would probably make your gun unique.

If recoil is a big concern a muzzle brake or porting of the barrel can make a huge difference, just need to always wear good hearing protection. Overall weight of the gun will also effect the felt recoil. Even putting on a heavy scope mounted as far forward as possible will effect how the recoil feels.

Since you are considering getting a custom gun made you may want consider one of the less common cartridges and get a little more custom for the money. If you handload you can custom tailor your loads to your gun and get a little more velocity and accuracy.

Years ago, a good friend had a single shot pistol chambered in 30-30. He hand loaded some light weight pointed bullets and it was a tack driver out past 100 yards with open sights. I never got to shoot it scoped. Recoil was very manageable, and if forced to use factory ammo, the stuff is pretty cheap and can be found about anywhere.

Sorry if this is a sidetrack, but i have a question. i don't hunt in the shotgun zones and i don't know all the rules for it. But you can shoot a pistol chambered with rifle cartriges, but you can't shoot a rifle? I mean why is the law there that makes you use shotguns? is it so the bullet doesn't have the potential to fly so far beyond the target, or is it so that people don't have such a range in an area that is more open country where they can take longer shots at deer where there is a lower population of deer? or other? If it is so the bullet doesn't have the potential to travel as far, then why can you use a pistol chambered in the same round as the rifle. granted they may not be as accurate at long range, but they still have the same potential to travel long distances. sorry if it is a tangent, but i don't hunt the area and don't understand all of the reasons for the regs.

The laws governing shotgunning for deer were originally put forth in areas that it was considered dangerous for rifles. The old slugs that were used had an effective range of aproximately 60 yards, compared to the hundreds of that of a rifle. With todays technology incorporated into slugs, they are not the same as they were then. As for the safety factor, there are more accidents with shotguns and slugs. I have mixed feelings about this.

Being able to use a handgun in a rifle cartridge is just a byproduct of wording. Legal handguns include legal cartridges for deer.

Thanks for any input guys, I'm thinking of a 243ssm, anyone have experience with the ssm loads?? I would think a shorter bolt would be nice, however a regular .243 is not that long.

The rifle calibers have their advantages like the chamberings for the TC encore pistol, but I feel true handgunning for whitetails involves traditional handgun calibers. My votes are:

.357 mag

.41 mag

.44 mag

An old friend of mine has a TC Encore Contender chambered in .270 Win,and all I got to say after shooting that one is ouch! Too much recoil for a pistol,IMO. But he did take deer with that TC.