• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pre-1970 Minnesota State Record Flathead Catfish

SteveD

Pre-1970 Minnesota State Record Flathead Catfish

This is a post I did on another forum in February 2004 with the information on the flathead cat record that held up until 1970. I think I have this location pretty well nailed down and I have caught a very nice flathead out of this same hole. This could be the location for the next state record - and no - I will not tell anybody where it is at. Here is the post from 2004:

This is the information on the MN Flathead record that held up until 1970. The only information on the record is based on an article by Hank Kehborn, an Outdoor Editor. Here is his article on this record fish:

"A Stillwater angler who never fished for catfish has set a state record for that species while fishing the St Croix River. According to all authentic records the 60-pound mud catfish pulled in by Al Stoll is the giant of them all. Stoll beached the monster after a struggle which lasted 1 1/2 hours.

Hjalmar Swenson, fisheries supervisor, said today that it is the largest catfish he has ever heard of that has been landed by hook and line. Stoll was using 25-pound test line and a 20-pound test leader when the fish hit. He was using a minnow.

There are unconfirmed reports that bigger cats have been taken in this state but they have never been verified. One such report, which was put in the rumor class, had a farmer near Handley catch a 159-pound catfish on a set line back in 1930. Another report says a 93-pound cat was taken out of the St Croix some 20 years ago.

"I have never gone after catfish," Stoll said. "I was fishing for sturgeon when this thing hit. I knew what it was right away but I didn't realize how big it was. It was an hour and 10 minutes before I had my first look at it and it took another 20 minutes to get it beached. I'm surprised it didn't break the line." Stoll had to have help in landing the fish. "I was fishing alone," he said, "and luckily Ray Calberg came by in his boat, Ray grabbed by anchor chain and pulled my boat to shore where I beached the fish." Swenson said the fish was probably 15 to 20 years old. It measured 52 inches and had a 31 1/4 inch girth.

Stoll caught the fish approximately three miles north of Stillwater. I'll bet there's a lot more of them big ones lying on the bottom of the river," he said. "I'll bet this one has paddled the river for quite some time."

Game warden Bill Severson said it was the biggest mud catfish he had ever seen taken out of the river. "I've heard rumors of bigger ones," he said, "but these were reportedly caught by set lines. Those boys just won't brag about catches made like that."

The only authentic record on mud catfish is a 45-pound made by Ray Stevens of Minneapolis in 1948. His catch was also made in the St Croix.

And what is Stoll going to do with the fish? "I don't know," he said, "I guess I'd have to use a cross-cut saw to dress it. Really I don't want it. Chances are I'll give it away."

Ok, so being the geek that I am, I had to plug those dimensions into my "large" fish formula of l*g*g/825

61.5lbs....who needs these silly scales cool.gif

I know you said you wouldn't say where the spot is, but you could always show someone whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: dtro
I know you said you wouldn't say where the spot is, but you could always show someone whistle.gif

As the saying goes - I might show you but then I would have to kill you.