• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch Hauler for SUV

borchawk1

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

We just got a Yukon XL to replace my Silverado. I want to pick up a hitch hauler to haul my clam on but everything I see is <24" deep. Does anyone have one they use for hauling a portable they'd recommend?

I havn't seen much out there that would handle a portable...the problem is once you get so big and heavy duty you are getting extremely HEAVY...

I am sure you could find something or have it fabricated but other than that i am not sure...

I used one made by Rigid Hitch that worked well. That is a Otter Magnum Lodge that I would haul all over the country for three winters and it never gave me one bit of trouble other then the salt would soak through the cover and discolored the canvas.

img0488xz1.jpg

I put one on the back of my Tahoe (2) years ago for a weekend trip to Red Lake.

I had a (2) man Polar that fit on it fine. Was a HD model from Northern that was on sale. I put HD ring bolts on the corners and sides and got (4) winch straps and a tarp. wrapped the house and my auger (in case) up and strapped it down. Worked great, nothing came loose, and everything was clean and dry.

** I was going to get a couple 2' 2 x 2 and put on a 1' plywood extension to accommodate the over hang but it was not needed.

Just centered the over hang equally on all sides and strapped her down. It was going nowhere with 80% of the house diameter supported.

(6) hours up and back, worked great !! Only time I have used it as I sold the portable after the trip. Was just looking @ it tonite in the garage sitting there. (lol)

I had a 10 X 12 tarp I laid on the carrier. My Polar had it's own cover but wanted it all protected. Put the house on the carrier, put auger in it's case on top of house and strapped it around the house once.

Folded in the ends of the tarp over the house/auger used a little almighty duct tape, and then folded/over lapped the rest of the tarp over the entire thing.

Used (3) winch straps secured to the hooks I installed a snugged them down. (2) across the its width to the truck, and (1) down its length. Duct taped the ratchet handles. Checked every couple of hours from SE Mn all the way up to Red Lake. Nothing moved had very minimal collection of crud on the tarp. Couple swipes with the snow brush and was ready to go !!

Originally Posted By: Jonny P
I used one made by Rigid Hitch that worked well. That is a Otter Magnum Lodge that I would haul all over the country for three winters and it never gave me one bit of trouble other then the salt would soak through the cover and discolored the canvas.

Now that is one sharp looking truck!!!!! ;\)