• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is "all-braid" bad?

BassProAddict

Peculiarly, I've been losing some fish with my braid setups when I'm trying to set the hook.I've been blaming finnicky/picky fish and half-hearted strikes as the reason why I miss 'em.

Come to think of it, could it be the non-stretch of the braided line I'm using?

Anyone here use Spiderwire braid?

For my first experience with superlines years ago, I find that my hook setting was basically almost none. Most of the fish hook themselves on such a tight line. If I set the hook, often it tears the flesh or cut it since I'm using owner cutting point hooks. The only exception is if the hook point pierces and makes full penetration and it's just the shank on the jaw bone.

In fact braid does stretch, up to 4% before breaking (mfg specs on spectra and dyneema fibers), but most of us will never apply such pressure on the line to ever feel that. Partly it is becuase you don't get a uniform stretch in braid and the stretch in the fibers is usually just at the break point. In comparison to mono, it's like no stretch. Mono fishing lines have a very uniform stretch, the entire line will stretch.

I dont use much braid when bassin, just for skipping docks and slop rods.

When possible I set the drag looser on reels with braid so that it slips on the hookset. I feel i still get a good hookset but with the looser drag Im not ripping a hole in the fish or ripping the bait away.

I dont think I would ever use braid on a cranking setup. Sure the small diameter will make your bait run deeper but even with two trebles often the fish are hooked poorly and when they make those surging runs if you dont have a line that stretches a bit or a moderate action rod there is a better chance those poorly hooked fish will come undone.