• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting ceramic tile

Tman2

We have 2 bathrooms with horrid tile. We have the house for sale, and would like to use a cheap option to cover this. It seems it's possible to paint over it. Removing the tile would not stop at just the floor, and would mean a major bathroom re-do, which I don't want to spend the money on.

Anybody tried this?

I've done it quite a few times for clients. If you where staying there I would tell you a different and better way to do this but the process below will work fine.

1 - clean tile good ( soilex works well, I get it at Hirshfields but I think Home Depot carries it )

2 - sand all tile ( you need to create an edge for the paint to adhere. Don't forget than to wipe down tile real well.

3 - prime, I like Zinsser B-I-N 1-2-3 ( latex, its the blue label one )

4 - paint

I don't know how paint would look over tile, with todays market, you want to make it look as good as you can. I would look into some cheap laminate flooring that you can put over the top of tile?

Is the tile damaged or pink/yellow/emerald that was popular many years ago?

Check with someone who refinishes bathtubs. There's probably some kind of spray option that will stick and not instantly peel away.

Originally Posted By: juddH
I don't know how paint would look over tile, with todays market, you want to make it look as good as you can. I would look into some cheap laminate flooring that you can put over the top of tile?

The room has coved tile at the sides creating a problem for a nice finish later on. I already dropped my price over $100,000 since I started. While I know the markets tough, dumping more effort and cash into it isn't turning my crank.

Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
Is the tile damaged or pink/yellow/emerald that was popular many years ago?

Check with someone who refinishes bathtubs. There's probably some kind of spray option that will stick and not instantly peel away.

It's some bad stuff.

IMG_6092.jpg

Wow! If it's any consolation, there's been a trend toward buyers returning to the "classic" features of the 70s ramblers.

Menards has paneling with less offensive vinyl wallpaper that runs $10-20. I've used it in a laundry room and it looked pretty good. It attaches with glue.

Originally Posted By: IFallsRon
Wow! If it's any consolation, there's been a trend toward buyers returning to the "classic" features of the 70s ramblers.

Menards has paneling with less offensive vinyl wallpaper that runs $10-20. I've used it in a laundry room and it looked pretty good. It attaches with glue.

That's the floor, the walls are the gold of old. Actually in good shape, we made some changes so that doesn't jump out at you.

For the tile on the floor, I would lay 1/8 sheathing and cheap carpet, paint won't hold on the floor tile. But the wall tile should work the way I stated in my first post and our emails.

So what's the matter with that tile? Shoulda seen what I had in my 1945 home when I bought it. I would do what rellemin said, maybe not carpet though. I would put the sheathing down and get some cheap vinal. You could get that done for under a hundy and it would add value. Kitchen and bath are the two good selling points you know.

What you have for floor covering now will be better then a quick and cheap make over. Let the new home owner decide what they want to do with it. Thats true for all floor coverings if they're in good shape leave it. Unless the bath floor has issues like broken tiles, soft spots then let it be. Put carpet in there and the first thing a new owner will do is tear it out. Think about it, carpet doesn't belong in bathrooms. Rugs yes, carpet no. Same for a kitchen.

sorry, blanked out on where this is. Yes I agree with Surface Tension, NO carpet in the bathroom. Leave it for the next person.

If you do paint the wall tile that will help tone down the floor tile alot. Get an area rug to cover even more.