• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good starter bowfish set-up?

Bow-fishing is one aspect of the sport that I haven't had any experience with, but I'd like to change that.

Wondering what a good starter set-up is? I have a bow that will do the trick, just curious as to what the rest of the set-up is, and a few tips on affordable starter gear.

Reel: Go with an AMS retriever reel, they cost around 60 bucks but it'e well worth it compared to the chaeper $15-30 ones they won't last you more than one or two years.

Rest: The Muzzy roller rests are nice and relativly cheap only $10-15 depending on where you shop.

Arrows: my personal favorite are the Muzzy brand, they tend to hold up well and the barbs hold the fish on well. They'll run you about $15 per arrow if you buy them with the safety slide, which you need, but you can also buy packs of them for $10ish.

Release: Optional but i like them, guess it's a preferance thing

Sights: A majority of people that bowfish shoot instinctivly without a sight, because of the fact that water usually has a 15 degree angle change, and it's much easier to just shoot than have to line up with sights all the time.

So all in all you should be able to get going with a pretty good setup for around $100-150 depending on your choice for equiptment. Polarized sun glasses are also pretty much a need. Hope this helps.

ok this may be the most stupid question ever, but i know NOTHING about carp, rough fish, etc..i fish bass, walleye and the likes. well anyways i just got a bow that im going to start bowhunting deer with, is there any way i could use it for bowfishing if i would want to give it a try? like would i be able to put a reel and whatever you put on for bowfishing on my deer bow? just wonderin, i fish on the rum and there are plenty of carp so im gettin interested in all this rough fish stuff especially since i cant fish my smallmouth right now. i actually got the bow for free from a guy i know.he tgot a new bow for deer hunting so he no longer needs it, i rifle hunt but i am going to give bowhunting a shot next year...wow this is getting long well what i am trying to say is i also dont know much about bows lol

Agreed, the smell of dead carp is not a very popular deer attractant. Plus there would be quite a bit of equiptment switchover.

You're best bet there would be to go to an achery shop and pick up a cheap used bow for $50-$100 and give it a shot. Only problem there is the necessary equiptment gets expensive so you could easily have $200-300 into it with the bow, but that's for the more top of the line gear.

I use different bows for hunting and bowfishing. since you are just getting started, take the accessories off of the bow you just got and use that. You can always clean it with some baking soda before the deer season starts. Then after you get addicted to bowfishing then get another bow.

thanks for the opinions, i wont be able to give it a try for at least a month or so because i dont have any money right now, i cant work right now because i broke my leg and i have a pin and wires comin outta my finger to keep it together...i will start to do some research and that kinda thing though...thanks guys

Originally Posted By: Burnham
i wont be able to give it a try for at least a month or so because i dont have any money right now, i cant work right now because i broke my leg and i have a pin and wires comin outta my finger to keep it together...i will start to do some research and that kinda thing though...thanks guys

Also, bowfishing opener isn't until May 1st!

I haven't bowfished in 40 years. My outfit was really inexpensive. The reel was just a tin can with two coathanger wires next to the rim that were taped to the bow with black electrical tape. I bought some line for bowfishing and a fish arrow, and I was in business. It actually worked quite well.