• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Showdown vs. Vexillar

hondarider550

I was wondering what everybody thinks about the Showdown flasher versus the Vexillar? I purchased the Showdown today and tried it out on a trial basis. It took a little time for me to figure it out but once I got the sensitivity set the flasher seemed to work out fine. I liked the price so I thought that it would be worth a try. Let's hear what everybody has to say about the difference between the two...

I have beebn checking this same subject out. If i were you i would return the showdown and get a Lowrance x67c in the ice machine package. It has a sonar mode and a flasher mode and i have heard a lot of good reports about it. This is what i will be buying this summer for my jon boat and then i will buy the winter stuff next hard water season. Lowrance has always made good stuff so i dont think you can go wron and they are not much more then the showdown. I have heard way too much bad about the showdown to go out and buy one. Plus the lowrance hads almost all the same fetures as the top vex or marcum.

I have the showdown...got it for christmas and still on the first battery charge - A HUGE PLUS.

The price is an awesome advantage for the budgeted fisherman.

I like the vertical pixel graph and I have never had any trouble due to the temperature...so the LCD screen is fine...havn't even switched to ICE mode.

Like you said it took me a bit to get it figured out...like the first trip out. I read a bit on the manual and had everything in order since. Very easy to operate and works like a charm.

I have never had any interference problems and I have used it once in the same house as a vexilar.

Also no hum when it is running.

The lack of color is something that you'd have to get used to, but I don't mind it because this was my first flasher.

Nice and portable and light for hole hopping on the ice. Also like the fact it comes in its own case for protection on and off the ice when it could be bouncing around in the bottom of the sled (hope to fix this issue with a modification over the summer).

My transducer cable holder that suspends the cable over the hole broke off...which is a hastle. I hope to talk to Nature Vision customer service sometime this spring and get it replaced.

It's a great tool and love watching fish come off the bottom and attack the bait.

Another thing, my Mrs. (just like most others I'm sure) doesn't like me spending money on so much ice fishing stuff.

Well I let her use the Showdown and she was slaying em because she could react to what the fish were doing.

If it pleases her on the ice, it has to be a great product.

I agree with tiosy11 that I like the vertical display. It's interesting to watch the fish come off of the bottom up to the lure. It's good to hear that you are having good luck with your Showdown. I am looking forward to trying it out again this weekend. Hopefully the fish will be biting like crazy...

I bought a Showdown about two weeks ago and own an older FL-8 se. I can't give you a comparison to the newer trucolor models, but compared to my FL 8, the Showdown is a big difference. I"ve used the Showdown twice and like what I see so far, but I'm still in the learning curve and have to work with the manual some more. I had it out last at a contest with lots of electronics running and I did experience interference. When I set the rejection to 1, the interference went away, but the return signals seemed to weaken. I cannot blame the unit yet as it could easily be me. I love my Vex and would like to be able to afford a Marcum, but like most, the budget would only allow for the Showdown. Time will tell. Good luck with yours.

Can you tell me where you have your sensitivity settings? I was on about 4 or 5 feet of depth and had the sensitivity set at 0 or 1. It was the best for clearing up the display. I really have no idea what I am doing yet but it would be helpful to findout what others have their settings at... Thanks

I fished on Saturday with all the guys in the family. Total count was 6 Vexilars, 1 Marcum and my Showdown. I had the noise set to 3 and sensitivity to 4 in 22 FOW. No clutter, no noise and could see my plain hook with Eurolarvae on it easily. All the guys are die hard color flasher types but by the end of the day they were all loving my Showdown. I'm like tisosy, I generally run it in all AUTO mode and rarely have to monkey around with any settings at all.

Good Post...I've been trying to talk my brother in buying a flasher...he doesn't have one right now. II told him, if I was to buy something now...(I have an FL-18 currently)...I would def check out the showdowns...They are in my budget

I would say if you already have a vexilar there is no reason to change unless you wanted to update to LCD. I own the Showdown but wouldn't say it is better than the Vex...I truly like it and it works flawlessly, but that doesn't mean the vex doesn't...

The reason that they are made by NatureVision is one of the reasons that I was interested in the unit in the first place. The design is very nice and compact being somewhat narrow and it comes in a very nice carry pack. The price is around that $200 mark.

I will try the automatic modes this weekend when I go to IGL again. Hopefully I will have my aquavu back from being repaired then hopefully I can catch a few...

They are in the old train buildings on 13th st south on the east side of town. If you turn off of Washington st onto 13th you can't miss em they are on the left right by the train tracks. Yes you can buy units right onsite. If you need more info to find them let me know.

I have last years model(VPG) and have used it for 2 winters now and have had good luck with it. It works great in really cold weather or inside a heated fish house. The battery seems to stay charged for a long time. A big plus is the silent operation too.

I did have the plastic tranducer holder break on mine also, I just re-drilled a hole and used a different bolt to hold it into place.