• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

125 mercury saltwater

balsa

I had one for one year and hated it and here is why . Mine had the 'marvelous ' 4 cyl that ran on 2 cyl at low speed . When you tried to power-load it would run as two cyl then suddenly at 4 cyl and launch the boat. Was a real pain . If you don't power-load , no problem , it had great power and great top-end . Just my two-bits worth . FYI , mine was on a 2025 Pro-V Tiller , what are you looking at ??

I know a few guys that have had the 2+2 mercs and they were happy enough with them.

I'm not positive on this, but I believe the only difference between a saltwater series Merc and a regular merc is the ability to connect a hose to flush the motor??? I was looking at one a few years ago and I think that was the only difference (but I don't remember for sure).

It's not a terrible motor. They do idle pretty rough, but for the most part they work all right.

With respect to the saltwater parts being harder to find parts for.. I agree with Perchjerker -there's not too much that's different between the two and wouldn't be too concerned with the Saltwater vs the non Saltwater version.

marine_man

Hey Balsa ,

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I had the 125 on a Yarcraft 1895bt and it performmed very well.Had decent top end and would idle all day.The rough idle was never an issue form me and I only rarely noticed it. Generally it would only get rough after several hours of running at an idle and even then it wasn't anything that was overly annoying or anything. AS for power loading and the 2+2 system kicking in and out that really never seemed to be a problem either. Once the trailer is in at the right depth vs the angle loadingwas a breeze.Like I said on wc if the motor was osund I would have no qualms about puchasing another.