• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of camera do you use?

Still using my 2 Fuji's! the s5000 and the s9000...both have really got me started into the nature photography that I'm now enjoying...of course my new recent addition of my Nikon ED50 digiscope but am not that far away from a new cannon or Nikon grin.gif...those fuji's aren't going to last forever grin.gif....I think I've cleaned the lens on my fuji s5000 about 4 times if I remember right...kinda like the energizer rabbit...keeps going and going and....well....time to go to the next level I'd say :grin

Nikon D50 with 18-200 5.6 DX VR, a 70-300 5.6 VR, and the kit 18-55 5.6 DX. I am hoping to someday find something fast and reasonably priced in the 400-600mm range. Maybe I'll check out Buzz's setup with the 300 2.8 and the 1.4 tc. X- I don't know how you can skip out on the wide angle lense, especially with the relatively inexpensive price the kit lenses go for. I have seen some wonderfully amazing landscapes photo ops out there in the wide open prairies. I wish I would have gotten a camera when I was younger and still living out there.

Originally Posted By: yakfisher
X- I don't know how you can skip out on the wide angle lense, especially with the relatively inexpensive price the kit lenses go for. I have seen some wonderfully amazing landscapes photo ops out there in the wide open prairies. I wish I would have gotten a camera when I was younger and still living out there.

Sorry, but I'm really tired of wide open prairies. Wide open spaces create a lot of wind, and I'm also tired of wind. Give me a few trees, please. Besides, if I ever did see something that halfway resembled a photogenic scenic, I could use my point and shoot. It doesn't go real wide, but a lot wider than my 100-400.

I've seen some of your P&S work and I like it, I also like the 100-400 work you do. I grew up close to you and I can tell you if I'm gone from the open spaces for too long I start to long for some space. I guess that is why I spend so much time hunting out that way.

Originally Posted By: jimalm
My dream lens would be one of the 500 or 600 but that will never happen till I win the lottery grin.gif

Sigh.

Word on the street is Canon will be releasing a 200-400 f4L IS lens in the next year or so. Never know if word on the street is true, and of course that extra stop of aperture over the 100-400 will cost thousands more and increase weight considerably.

I live in Minneapolis now, but I grew up in Storm Lake, IA and Madison, MN. Both of my sisters went to school in Marshall, while I chose the wide open spaces of Grand Forks. My folks are still in Madison, but they spend quite a bit of time in Okoboji.

Now I can understand why you miss the wide open spaces. I maybe would too, if I was marooned in an asphalt jungle. Living in the Twin Cities would drive me batty. I dread when I just have to drive to Minneapolis or St. Paul. Although, my daughter lives in Plymouth, and every time she comes home, she remarks about how the wind always blows around here. I guess no place is ideal. Then there are Steve and Ken who have to put up with 8 month winters.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish

Word on the street is Canon will be releasing a 200-400 f4L IS lens in the next year or so. Never know if word on the street is true

Steve, I heard that same rumor about 2 or 3 years ago as well.