• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Printing off maps?

AaronM

Question

I've been thinking about printing off maps from Google Earth and making a large map to take with me on the water. I only want to do this if it is possible to "waterproof" it when I'm all done. I know I can get individual plastic covers for individual sheets, but I want to do a large map. Any ideas? Thanks!

3 answers to this question

ff,

I think this may work for you and cheap; $6 at campmor (one of my favorite outdoors on-line stores):

"Map Seal is a high polymer coating that protects the map from weather and time by encasing them in a permanent, waterproof, clear and flexible film. Treated maps can be folded repeatedly without damaging the map. Can also be marked by pen or pencil. This water-based, environmentally friendly product is very effective and easy to use. Can be used on all types of paper maps, nautical charts, and many other paper products. Coats 6 to 8 topo maps, front and back. 8 oz. bottle with applicator."

You can buy clear shelf liner paper (contact paper) at Menards or wherever. It's actually clear plastic with adhesive on the back. Cut two pieces and sandwich the paper between. Works great, and very cheap.