• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trading veichles

Bassboy1645

Question

I found a really nice full size dodge ram 1994 5 speed. it has 238,000 miles on truck but a rebuilt engine with 30 k on it. not one speck of rust and very clean well taken care of. seems like a nice truck for 2500 dollars....

I run an 2000 GMC jimmy 145,000 miles. same kind of condition, brand new front end parts and tranny. worth im guessing 3 grand.

what are your opinions on a trade or sell knowing that im losing value most likely in age?? I kind of miss the full size truck.

All things equal and assuming everything was good on the older vechile what are your thoughts or ideas on it?? it would have to be an even or less trade becasue of my limited financial resources...

7 answers to this question

I would say your Jimmy would range from 1800-2500 for trade in money, it would retail for 2500 to 3500 in my opinion. We have a like vehicle on our lot right now for 3990, it has 146K and is in similar condition to how you describe it. The Dodge I cant't put an exact number on it but that number does seem fair.

The dealer will always give you wholesale and try to get retail for their vehicle. Depending on the dealer... If it is a Big name dealer then they will take it in and wholesale it right to a smaller dealer i.e. Swingin Sam's Auto Sales because they don't want to have to sell your trade unless it is really really nice and they know that it will sell.

Look up wholesale on their truck, and look up wholesale on yours and that will be pretty close to the difference. Kelly Blue Book is usaully a little high on their values. NADA is pretty close.

The nice thing is that you only have to pay tax on the difference but, I have tryed to trade vehicles straight up in the past and most dealers will not do it and they cringe at the sound of it.

Good Luck, Buying cars is a fun game but it is a dirty one.