• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Not sure what bird this is?

mountaindew

I wouldn't do the dishes just yet. Its not a goldfinch. It has way too much streaking in its feathers and it should have blackwings regardless of whether or not its in breeding colors. It would be easier to tell with a picture of the whole bird but I am going to guess its a female house finch.

This appears to have been shot through a window, which could explain the yellow cast. Also, while some male house finches have yellow/organge casts and females don't, plumage variations occur in all bird species, and you can't rule in or rule out a species on subtle differences in plumage color alone. Also, some first year male house finches still look like immatures and females, so it's possible this is a male hatched in April or May that's late getting its adult plumage but has color showing.

No American goldfinches have heavily streaked breasts. Indeed, most winter goldfinches have no streaking, and those that have any have very subtle, fine, barely noticeable streaks. This bird is not a golfinch. Aside from the streaking issues, the bill and other proportions are wrong.

It is either a female house finch (the male possibility is not likely) or a pine siskin. A bit hard to tell size from this angle, and a look at the sidewing pattern further back would make it easy, but it's one or the other. My money is on female house finch because the bill is blockier than the fine bill on a siskin, and to my eye the proportions are right.

I concur. Feed dozens of goldfinches daily and that ain't no goldfinch. Striped breast and broader bill like that would put me in the female house finch camp. The albeit limited number of pine siskins we've had here over the years, been awhile but seems like the beak was smaller and sharper. Tell your wife double or nothing. grin.gif

I'm on the female/immature House Finch wagon as well. Angle is a bit tough and the yellow cast could be a reflexion from the feed in the tray or just your setting on your camera. It surely is not a Goldfinch. No dark wings or wing bars and goldfinches don't "generally" have that kind of streaking on the head or breast. I say your wife owes you dishes the next time you lose a bet.

I was reviewing old pictures and I believe by looking at the brown on the wings of this bird it is an Imm. or female Purple Finch. I really thought Pine Siskin first but by reviewing several books and looking at the pictures that the Cornell birding HSOforum has of the three spieces that Puprle Finch is the bird.