• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Newbie with newbie questions....

fc, you can buy them at WalMart. Go back to the computer/electronics desk and tell them you're looking for an inexpensive compact flash card reader to plug into your computer's USB port. Most of them are actually 7-in-one or 10-in-one or the like, meaning you can read that many different styles of memory card/stick with that single reader, but they ALL read compact flash (abbreviated CF), which is what you're using.

If you're using a Mac, you'll just plug it in and go. If a PC, you may (or may not) have to install driver software, but it will come with the reader and it's a simple process for which they provide directions.

See, $20, not $1,000. The $1,000 comes when you want to upgrade your computer or your telephoto lens. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Kindof limited to shopping in a small town. I am going to take my camera into Wally World and see what I can find. What do you think for a: Lexar Professional 2 GB Compact Flash 133x Speed CF? (look at that, I almost "talked the talk!") \:D What card would be best for that CF?

My next problem is I have 247 pics on this card with no place to print them. Yesterday I set up a photo bucket account and was wondering where I can print from the net. Would like to have a good quality print of my "prized" pics...Any suggestions???

Thanks AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN!! \:\)

fc, you should be able to get your pics printed off the card right at Wally World if it's a SuperWalmart, and some other WalMarts offer that service anyway. There are a lot of places online like Adorama that offer prints, but you've got to transmit files to them electronically. On your dial-up, once you get that type of thing set up, it's best to just transmit images online before you go to bed since it'll take quite awhile.

The Lexar card you mentioned is excellent. I use mostly Lexar and SanDisk, and they are top notch. Any card reader that reads CF cards will read that card just fine.

Does your computer burn CDs? If so, once you buy the card reader and download your photos you can burn them on CD for backups, because your hard drive will get full pretty quickly unless it's pretty big.

If not, many photo developing stores and some Big Box stores like Wally World can make a CD for you from your card. There are also online services now that will host huge amounts of online data like photos for about 50 bucks a year, though if you're on dial-up that's not going to be a good option for you.

I think I got it...so far. I am going to go to Wally World, get a card reader and some CD's and try that. I also worked on some of my photos last night after the eclipse...it turned into a late night. tired.gif I was playing around with the editing program that came with my camera and it was really cool. I will burn some of my changes, some of my originals and try to get them onto this computer tomorrow at work. Dial-up at home, DSL at work. Oh yea, I almost forgot I am at work. Yikes, don't tell the boss!! cry.gif

I may have to purchase a computer soon, too. I have always had PC's, used to be a computer teacher so I am comfortable with both. I know this is a ford/chevy, polaris/arctic cat, so on so forth question, but what does everyone prefer (Mac or PC) and why?

Thanks again for another day of photography 101 for fc!

fc, sounds like you've got a good handle on 'puters. Really doesn't matter which you choose. They are a lot closer together in performance and price, when comparing like systems, than those obsessed with brand would have you believe.

I just recommend people use whichever they are most comfortable with. The only clear advantage in Macs is that virus/worms are rarely written to infect them because the huge majority of the world runs on PCs.

Otherwise, buy your Ford or buy your Chevy and just drive it and have fun, I say. grin.gif